May 15, 2024, 05:25:30 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Give weapons with CTRL shooting travel time  (Read 2079 times)

Yuno-Gasai

• Supporter
  • Hi, hehe
    • View Profile
Give weapons with CTRL shooting travel time
« on: December 22, 2015, 04:22:00 am »
Weapons such as grenade launcher, rocket launcher, and grenades. It's stupid how you just click and it's an instant hit. Giving them travel time would be much more better since players will be able to dodge them, and they're op when the shooter has a motion sensor.

However I also suggest giving them a damage buff if they get this travel time, and also players will have to predict the enemies movement, so players with skill shouldn't have s problem. Also giving rockets their own characteristics would be nice, like AP rockets could travel faster, do more damage, but has 2 hex splash radius, while explosive has 4-5 blast radius with less damage and slightly slower travel time.
Spoiler: show

zinthos

Re: Give weapons with CTRL shooting travel time
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 02:03:56 pm »
or just use stonewall

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:18:59 pm »
I wish more weapons had ctrl shooting, particularly the high spread burst guns.

As for the OP, it could be interesting if they had travel time but rockets and grenades work as crowd control as they deal damage and can potentially knock down some opponents, if you make them dodge-able, they still technically work as crowd control as they force people to move, but in most cases if they are dodge-able, no damage will be dealt at all, so boosting the damage isn't really a buff. Also it would be another thing that high ping players suffer for and low ping players avoid entirely.

Slowhand

• Go for the eye, Boo! Go for the eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:45:31 am »
if you make them dodge-able, they still technically work as crowd control as they force people to move, but in most cases if they are dodge-able, no damage will be dealt at all, so boosting the damage isn't really a buff.

It is a buff, as it could generate more skillful play. Dodging projectiles wouldn't be so easy, it would require anticipation, not only reaction. Other changes could be, that the damage is bigger at the impact point (along with the knock back/knockout chance/effect) than at the margins.

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 09:26:40 am »

Dodging projectiles wouldn't be so easy, it would require anticipation, not only reaction.

Generally it would require a low ping, high ping players would probably never even get a chance to dodge.

Don't get me wrong the idea makes sense and could be interesting, but having a localised server and then punishing players that aren't close enough to it to get under 100 ping is damn harsh, minimising the high/low ping dis/advantage stuff is a better idea IMO.

Sure it makes things kind of annoying when thinking about it in these terms, but honestly, the more it comes down to who has the fastest ping, the less you will see of international players, and with such a small community already that seems self destructive.

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 07:50:33 pm »
+1 Stalk! Great idea. But instead of coding a whole new "travel time" mechanic, you could just delay the explosion a bit depending on the explosive type. That way, it wouldn't require much work to fix.

Yuno-Gasai

• Supporter
  • Hi, hehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 08:14:34 pm »
or just use stonewall
Such a constructive and well thought argument  against this suggestion ::)

+1 Stalk! Great idea. But instead of coding a whole new "travel time" mechanic, you could just delay the explosion a bit depending on the explosive type. That way, it wouldn't require much work to fix.

That will be terrible, I'd rather want to see the projectiles moving so I know if I should run up, down, left, etc. Also statted weapons could have increased travel time buff for these types of weapons.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 12:20:23 pm »
- would nerf rockets and grenades
- would give an excuse for loss (omg my ping) or a reason to complain about (omg my ping)

and would require much work to do and even more to test it.

Not worth it.