May 09, 2024, 07:38:06 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Solo the Gunrunner Mutant Quest  (Read 8598 times)

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Re: Solo the Gunrunner Mutant Quest
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 01:16:51 am »
Hah, fair enough, but it is almost impossible for some builds to get through the quest without dying.

I would say Hinkley would provide better practice for realtime combat, particularly training for TC and all builds, as long as that is what you are doing there, not just playing rambo hehe.

Yes agreed. Hinkley is the combat training facility. Your enemies at Hinkley run your own speed. Muties in the GR quest only walk - they are slow and this is one major advantage. I consider this quest to be training prior to Hinkley. Do this quest and get better qualified to fight real PvP, then go to Hinkley with more skill than before.

Rinzler

• Sarcasm mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 10:02:39 am »
I've never actually bothered with this quest. Never had the interest.
Maybe I should look at it more closely.

It really is worth doing from a farming perspective, you'll loot plenty of guns to sell, a gat laser and plenty of 5mm ammo. Plus theres the random locker spawns which 9 times out of 10 crap but every once in a while is something having.
When you get angry please try to remember it is not really me you are angry with, my words have simply triggered your pre-existing anger and in doing so created a false reality where it’s all my fault.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 02:56:33 am »
Don't use fist-fighters? Fine, then solo this quest with a Small Guns tank!

A Small Guns Build
5.9.10.1.2.10.3, Small Frame + Bonehead
Tag: Small Guns, Lockpick (or First Aid), and Outdoorsman
Adrenaline Rush, Quick Pockets (for fast reloads), Even Tougher
Lifegiver, Action Boy, Bonus Rate of Fire,
Lifegiver, Action Boy (or last two of your choice, maybe Man of Steel and Toughness)

I took Quick Pockets so i can use the HPFA, and that's why i say "Reload" so much in this post. 762 ammo is great, so 1-hex with HPFA will bring down mutants the first time. But use Pancor Jackhammer too! It does some knock-backs from range and apparently the bursts don't spread.

Gear Up
Use combat armor/helmet, but watch deterioration level. Avoid all gear nearing 50%. Under 50% you get some bad troubles. 2000 rounds of ammo is plenty. Bring a backup gun and small amount AP ammo for it. Bring some ding-dang sstims! About 15. If you have 150 sstims, still don't bring more than 15. This will force yourself to be careful. If you bring too many sstims, you will skate through this quest without learning much - try to use less sstims each time you do this, and it will serve as some practice.

Approach
Take the same route as posted above to get a strong start. Use the back entrance and 1-hex those 2 back there. Easy. Get that door open however you have to, rAP (recharge AP) and run straight left to the laser rifle mutant. 1-hex him before he gets a shot, and stop. Reload and rAP. Wait for flamer mutant to close in, and 1-hex him too. Maybe he burned you a bit. Reload, FA, rAP and run outside the front entrance. Waste no time here - run straight at the visible target, 1-hex him, Reload and stop to rAP. LSW mutant will shoot at you - he uses his AP. That's when you 1-hex him and you made that look easy too.

Middle Guys
Upset them with a burst from range. They will start after you. You can weaken them a bit as they walk, but if you use HPFA then its really the 1-hex you want. Just remember: let the enemy get a shot off first, then you run up to 1-hex. If you run up to 1-hex when enemy has enough AP recharged, then you're the one who gets 1-hexed!

Use the corners near the entrance to wait for targets to appear 1 at a time, 1-hex and move away quickly each time. FA, Reload, rAP and repeat. (Use sstims only when you have to.)

Top Guys
Once things calm down in the middle, and you're back to full strength, run up left hallway and right up to the laser rifle, 1-hex him as fast as you can and he dies. His buddy will shoot you. Run back the way you came and keep going south because other targets will be after you from the far right. Get to a safe moment, Reload, heal up, rAP and hide around a corner by the shelves just inside to right of gate. You should get another 1-hex here but likely need to back off again and let the others chase.

Repeat tactics to reach last room with lockers. Remember to let the enemy get a first burst if they are already upset, and that's when you run up to do 1-hex.

Back Room with Loot
This is where the big boss is, with Avenger. He has 1 or 2 guards in there with him and one has a rocket launcher. Without Stonewall perk (you'd need ST 6), that RL guy will knock you down a few times if you don't hex him around a corner. The boss alone is no biggie though - you can fight him at range trading bursts back and forth a few times, using sstims to avoid failure.

The Prizes!
Yep you get a few fun items here, sometimes really good stuff, not to mention a Gatling Laser and Avenger. Items in lockers often have bonus stats. The main quest item is a trapped, metal briefcase with some blueprints in a somewhat-hidden crate in the top left room. Leave the box in tact to turn it in at GR, get 4k xp and be able to repeat this quest later. I hope you brought some expanded lock-picks to open that tough door (or some dynamite).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:03:50 am by Henry »

Knuckle

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 11:29:25 am »
Nice Henry :D

Dank Anel

• Supporter
  • Makes FOnline better since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 03:21:17 pm »
Im doing it with LSW on character in TB and i dont have to take any super stimpaks.
Im just using covers, mutants always coming to you, if they dont. Click end combat and go deeper to the cave.
And at the start make sure that no one of them will block gate. After 2 first ones in cave (laser and flamer 1hex) im go fast to the 2nd gate and im opening it and go back :)
Pice of cake
fuck my grama fuck my engilsh... come fight little pusses!!!!!

<18:30:32> "blasma": zinthos feels unjustified and resentful due to his oppressor DA

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 12:26:42 am »
Im doing it with LSW on character in TB and i dont have to take any super stimpaks.
Im just using covers, mutants always coming to you, if they dont. Click end combat and go deeper to the cave.
And at the start make sure that no one of them will block gate. After 2 first ones in cave (laser and flamer 1hex) im go fast to the 2nd gate and im opening it and go back :)
Pice of cake

Yep as noted before, this quest is a lot easier in Turn-Based mode. That's why i run it in RT, and why i suggest to new guys to also run it in RT. First time? Bring friends and do TB, but i hope you have 45 minutes. Ready for tougher challenge? Do it in RT. Btw, even solo'ing this quest in RT will get too easy for you once you get better in combat. Some veterans don't even do this quest anymore. (That's when you go to Ares and Warehouse.) But if you have trouble solo'ing this in RT, then keep at it - you need to get better to ever be highly competitive in Town Control. And as also noted above, use Hinkley too. 

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 12:14:34 am »
Next Build...

Just solo'd this with my Role-Play Medic LOL!

He is a laser surgeon with Healer+ and Medic perks, plus More Crits, Even More Crits, and Even Tougher, Lifegiver, BRoF, and MoS. Drugged, he used a gatling laser and fewer sstims due to high FA skill with low FA timer.

Approach was the same: enter back, take down power fists guys there, use dynamite on door, head straight left, take down laser rifle, stop, rAP and take down flamer guy.

In this case i got a bonus: my dynamite explosion disturbed 2 of the inside guys too.

Then outside to get those 2. Back in and disturb the middle guys. I had a pile of dead mutants in the entryway. Up to top to 1-hex the closer target up there, run south pulling some heat toward the gate.

And on to last room. I messed up at one point: i tried to shoot and gun was somehow on Reload. That was expensive. Messed up again when i tried to shoot and somehow FA'd the enemey! Wow lol.

But yeah...solo on a RP medic laser surgeon. No Lockpick skill so i got some help from a friend (thanks, buddy!)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:20:21 am by Henry »