May 14, 2024, 05:14:07 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Militia - only when tc timer is on  (Read 3602 times)

Kaskader

• View Profile
Militia - only when tc timer is on
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:08:46 pm »
What about militia showing up only when enemy team starts taking the city?

It's sick when noob players from faction controlling the city are using militia for taking down traders, bluesuits albo people buying professions or taking perks, maybe taking quests. Militia should be used only in TC battles. It's like free buffed mercenaries...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:12:20 pm by Kaskader »

Perteks

• Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Militia - only when tc timer is on
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:14:21 pm »
Ah then Militia should be something what all TC players didn't want to be instead of helping to control city from random pk'ers?

Wow yes so much yes! /sarcasm

Kaskader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:17:37 pm »
Ah then Militia should be something what all TC players didn't want to be instead of helping to control city from random pk'ers?

Wow yes so much yes! /sarcasm
cut the crap

Nice_Boat

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »
No, you cut the crap. It's called town control because the faction that takes the town is supposed to be in control after the timer closes. If they aren't rewarded with a tool to control it (ie. militia), than winning a town is no different from camping New Reno aside from the locker reward that most people don't even interact with. It's not supposed to be a funny caption in your pip boy, it's supposed to have a real impact on the game.

Oh, and if you're surprised that walking into a Mexican drug cartel-owned district with a suitcase full of cash and without an army of bodyguards can get you killed, I'd suggest getting some common sense on eBay.

Furthermore - if you're annoyed by the militia, than by all means, be the hero - kill them all. It takes a long time to respawn, you could even do it alone. But wait, it'd actually take some effort and skill, so what we've got instead is another thread full of "boo-hoo, I want the game to be gutted of interesting features because I'm getting owned by them."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:39:53 pm by Nice_Boat »
Best Tournament Sneaker as of 10.07.2013

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:54:07 pm »
TC-players don't like militia, small time pvp-players don't like militia, players that should be protected by them die by their hand.
Some say you can kill them solo, I did try that and I really don't know how I could win vs 6x 475hp, metal armor, plasma and sniper rifle using mercs. Maybe 1hex from avanger, respawn and repeat but that's no fun.

Militia is not a good way to 'control' a town.
I may be broke, but I ain't broken (just twisted).

Nice_Boat

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 03:32:26 pm »
TC-players don't like militia,
Yeah,, that's why it's the noobs doing the whining now.

small time pvp-players don't like militia
Great, it's working as intended.

players that should be protected by them die by their hand.
I've never seen a militia member kill a person from the gang in control on purpose. Obviously, you must be confused. Obviously, you made the mistake of thinking they're there to protect visitors. Well, newsflash, they're not the NCR guards.

Some say you can kill them solo, I did try that and I really don't know how I could win vs 6x 475hp, metal armor, plasma and sniper rifle using mercs. Maybe 1hex from avanger, respawn and repeat but that's no fun.
If you don't know how a feature works, why are you making noise on the forum and demanding it to be removed?

Militia is not a good way to 'control' a town.
Controlling a location in this game means deciding who lives and who dies. It's that simple.

Militia is a force multiplier designed to allow 1 or 2 people to camp the town and kill any undesirables. It's designed not to withstand a full-scale assault, but 100% own 1 or 2 hostiles if assisted by a player character.

How is it failing at any of that? And no, it's not a huge factor in serious PvP right now, don't even try to go there cause you'll get laughed at.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:34:03 pm by Nice_Boat »

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »
Hold on to yer socks! Did I say I want it removed?

If controling a town is about using  AI-bots to blast  leve l 3 players that just want to get a profesion, perk or mine some ore, then yes, the militia is good at it.

I just don't like it, can I do that here? Didn't  read the terms&conditions,  maybe there's a point ther saying you need to love big guns and militia to play?  Sorry, I'll just go back to the kitchen  and make some sandwiches...

Nice_Boat

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:11:36 pm »
Hold on to yer socks! Did I say I want it removed?
Ok, now I'm the one confused. What do you want?

If controling a town is about using  AI-bots to blast  leve l 3 players that just want to get a profesion, perk or mine some ore, then yes, the militia is good at it.
If you don't like that, why aren't you fighting for a pacifist faction to change it? Why take the forum PvD (player vs dev) route instead of using the features as they were intended to be used to influence the social structure of the server? It's not the militia pulling the trigger, it's the players. If you remove the militia, crafters are still going to be killed by other means, but pacifists will no longer be able to stop that from happening. It really is as simple as that, the thing is that nobody is using this feature to introduce carebearish policies because we're all bloodthirsty bastards who like seeing the blue pixels being replaced by the red ones.

I just don't like it, can I do that here? Didn't  read the terms&conditions,  maybe there's a point ther saying you need to love big guns and militia to play?  Sorry, I'll just go back to the kitchen  and make some sandwiches...
You don't have to like it. You simply suggested that it's somehow broken and I pointed out that you were wrong.

And really, the next time one of you feels like whining about militia being used to kill bluesuits, instead of writing angry posts I'd suggest hooking up with some other angry people, taking a town and using the militia to protect crafters and traders. Heck, you might even grow to be the dominant force in the wasteland and laugh at all the PK noobs crying about being contained to TB traps and Mariposa when it comes to killing shit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:17:49 pm by Nice_Boat »

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 04:30:44 pm »
I would suggest a different feature but as soon as I do that, there's going to be a flood of nay-sayers yelling that 'it's good as it is', 'learn to play', or (my long time favorite) 'wasteland is harsh'.
Some ideas would be:
-spawning the militia only when there a players of the controlling faction in town
-spawning the militia only if there is trouble in town
-spawning the militia in numbers and strength similar to the number and strength of players making the trouble
-give players a reputation with player factions, only those with a negative rep would get blasted
-make the militia patrol the town not stand by the only shop in town and shoot everybody with a hammer in hand
-make the faction controlling the town profit from player activities in that town

I'm just a passenger on this ship, I can only yell "Iceberg!", I don't have any idea how to avoid the impact. 

jacky

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »
leave it, militia is crap. kill it or ask owner of town will he let you in

Nice_Boat

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 04:55:42 pm »
I would suggest a different feature but as soon as I do that, there's going to be a flood of nay-sayers yelling that 'it's good as it is', 'learn to play', or (my long time favorite) 'wasteland is harsh'.
Why would you suggest a different feature if we already established that militia is working well?

Some ideas would be:
-spawning the militia only when there a players of the controlling faction in town
-spawning the militia only if there is trouble in town
-spawning the militia in numbers and strength similar to the number and strength of players making the trouble
-give players a reputation with player factions, only those with a negative rep would get blasted
-make the militia patrol the town not stand by the only shop in town and shoot everybody with a hammer in hand
-make the faction controlling the town profit from player activities in that town
You do realize that militia won't ever attack you without one of the players in control shooting you first, right? Cause the first and second idea would literally help people with PKing, third idea is ludicrous and reeks of 2238, fourth idea is even more ridiculous because you want to replace human interaction with some abstract bullshit and the fifth idea is invalid because that's not how militia works. Oh and, the profit thing - there's literally nothing stopping you from taxing people once you take the town.

I'm just a passenger on this ship, I can only yell "Iceberg!", I don't have any idea how to avoid the impact.
What impact? You're pretty much ranting about nerfing the player control over the game in the north, this is the kind of bullshit that killed 2238 and the odds of something like that being implemented are literally 0.0%.

You probably might convince Kilgore to remove militia if you cry hard enough, but he'd probably do it only for a week or so just to show you how shitty the life of a crafter/trader/whatever can get when they're not around and literally every single wasteland cunt and griefer can camp your precious barber shop with that cool hello kitty perk.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 05:25:42 pm »
[qoute]What impact? [/quote]
Iceberg? Ship? Impact? Titanic? No? Never mind then, just making an allusion.

Taxing works this way - we shoot you dead and take everything you have, at some point on 2238 I remember some gang letting people mine in BH if they gave back some of the ore, iirc that didn't work for long, but if there would be some game mechanic to help enforce these kind of taxes I'd be all for it.
If gangs would use militia to say "give us some of your loot or the npc will blast you" the I'd be more then happy about the militia.

The only difference between getting shot by a random PK and getting shot by a guy with 6 militia/mercs is that everyone could be a random PK and not everyone can be controlling a town - some players (me for one) feel cut of from a part of the gameplay.   

Anyway, I don't feel like this discussion is going anywhere, so this is my last post in this topic.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 05:34:39 pm »
It's sick when noob players from faction controlling the city
If they are noob, then take the town from them and show them no mercy.

1. Militia is easy to kill. If you don't know, it used to be 20 members of militia with imba stats and still they got killed by some 1-2 players whenever controlling faction wasn't present in town. You cannot even rebuy militia anymore.
2. No militia means basically dead towns because the controlling faction has absolutely no support while standing inside.
3. All depends on who's controlling the town, they can as well set anti-PK law so militia will kill troublemakers/thieves.

at some point on 2238 I remember some gang letting people mine in BH if they gave back some of the ore, iirc that didn't work for long,
Been there, done that personally like two or three sessions ago - on 2238. Without the militia, but with an armor and assault rifle :P Whatever.
1. It was boring, unrewarding and totally unefficient to stand there even if everybody shared what they gathered.
2. 90% of miners just tried to fool me and run away, then were killed on sight and whined about evul PKs.
3. 10% of miners shared what they gathered and came back many times.

So, yeah. It's good as it is, learn to play, wasteland is harsh etc.