May 10, 2024, 09:12:15 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Hire workers and robots.  (Read 2776 times)

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
Hire workers and robots.
« on: August 31, 2015, 07:50:11 am »
For bases to "help" gather resources.
It'd be interesting if hired hands could be purchased for like 10K caps at the console, then actually go into the world map once a day to gather resources, running from potential dangers such as foreign players. Or just follow the player around to help carry stuff in the base.

The hired people being mostly foremen, and Handy Bots.

Essentially for 10K it'd spawn a worker/robot that goes into the world map once until it grabs 20 fruit, or 10 flint, returns home and waits a day to go out again.

If a robot searches a city, it can find junk (if the base was in a city)
If it searches a mountain if can find wood and fruit
If it searches deserts, flint, flower, and roots.

Bases can hold several workers, maybe up to 5? Maybe one for each faction member? But a balancing feature is that they can die in the wastes if a player kills them, or if they get stuck and get killed by a wasteland critter.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:30:02 am by Help Bot »
In Maintenance Mode.

Gooseberry

• View Profile
Re: Hire workers and robots.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:27:47 am »
This sort of already exists. Bring 10k caps and walk around redding looking for homesteaders. You'll notice that you can talk to them and hire them to work on your base. (Outpost only)

Though I have no idea how their resource generation works.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 05:45:51 pm »
This sort of already exists. Bring 10k caps and walk around redding looking for homesteaders. You'll notice that you can talk to them and hire them to work on your base. (Outpost only)

Though I have no idea how their resource generation works.

Are you serious 'bout those homesteaders ? :O
Never heard about this...
GUN FOR HIRE

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 05:47:21 pm »
I know of homesteaders isn't it only 5K caps?
And I thought they were for all bases.

They do the same as the suggestion but don't actually go into the world map, and aren't as easy as using the console.
In Maintenance Mode.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 01:45:28 am »
Ahhhh so it's 10k! I was asking for help about this Homesteaders thing a few months ago. I tried 5k and it did not work. Thanks! Still though...

+1 to helper robots, or other workers who gather resources for you.

I wish we could send out an NPC to just gather anything: flint, wood, fibers, broc flowers, xander roots, chemical components, maybe we'd never know what they're going to bring back.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:47:42 am by Henry »

Help Bot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 02:39:04 am »
Having hired workers bring back random goods would be more reaslistic, and maybe even different goods per region could be found.
In Maintenance Mode.

Frosty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 03:18:31 am »
I've run into Homesteaders in encounters before. If you save them you can talk to them and they'll talk about how they're down on their luck and you have two options to invite them to work for your faction. I've tried both, but neither worked for me, (They simply declined and became unable to talk) but I have 1CH and no points in speech so i figure that's why. Is this the same deal as in town? Someone who'se gotten them want to elaborate? I'm curious as to how it works.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 11:56:36 am »
I've run into Homesteaders in encounters before. If you save them you can talk to them and they'll talk about how they're down on their luck and you have two options to invite them to work for your faction. I've tried both, but neither worked for me, (They simply declined and became unable to talk) but I have 1CH and no points in speech so i figure that's why. Is this the same deal as in town? Someone who'se gotten them want to elaborate? I'm curious as to how it works.
I have 1CH too, but I will put on me leather with CH bonus, mirrored shades and take few pills of Mentats and report my observations here.
GUN FOR HIRE

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand ManiacsĀ®
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 03:32:47 am »
But homesteaders only collect specific resources.
I think Help Bot was reffering to junk, wood, etc.
Not + or -1 to the idea.
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 12:15:09 pm »
One homesteader cost 5k caps. I bought him in second encounter with 4 CH and INT.
(Special leather jacket, mirrored shades and Mentats). In first enco they didnt want to work for me :/

You can send him for wood, fibers, silver gecko pelts or golden gecko pelts
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:49:34 am by Mad Matt »
GUN FOR HIRE

Frosty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 11:59:58 pm »
One homesteader cost 5k caps. I bought him in second encounter with 4 CH and 6 LK.
(Special leather jacket, mirrored shades and Mentats). In first enco they didnt want to work for me :/

Thanks for doing the grunt work mate. Any info on their rate of collection? Can they be killed while working for you?

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 11:01:51 am »
One homesteader cost 5k caps. I bought him in second encounter with 4 CH and 6 LK.

Thanks for doing the grunt work mate. Any info on their rate of collection? Can they be killed while working for you?

I hired 3 of them, but I see in my faction base only one of them. Rest of my bases dont have rest of them too, so Im afraid you can hire only one homesteader per char or faction.

Dunno how about all resources, but in dialog you can choose what you want. He will gather small ammount of this once per day. You cant talk with him again untill 24h.
You get only 20 fibers, or 10 silver geckos skins. Golden are 10 too...probably.
To get skins of g.gecko you need to bring him 2 assault rifles and 30 bullets of 5mm ammo. To get 10 silver gecko skins you need to bring him 2 hunting rifles and 10 .223 bullets. Guns will stay in your inventory, without loosing cond. Everytime you will loose only 10 bullets of .223 type. You can bring even thousand, theres no bug so you will not loose it more than those ten.
On sunday evening server time I will gather info about others resources he can get.

Anyway, its more profitable to do it yourself. One per day with one homesteader sucks. He should be able to do it every hour or every two hours, or we should be allowed to have at least 4-5 of them, than one per day would be enough. For now its only waste of cash if you ask me.

They could gather meat or meat jerky, junk and brahmin hide too.
I will put more info tommorow, when I will have more time.
(Im out of home)
GUN FOR HIRE

Frosty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 06:42:31 pm »
Mmm, It'd be worth it for me at the current collection rate if he could bring in Brahmin. Say two a day.

Gooseberry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 08:08:31 pm »

I hired 3 of them, but I see in my faction base only one of them. Rest of my bases dont have rest of them too, so Im afraid you can hire only one homesteader per char or faction.

Dunno how about all resources, but in dialog you can choose what you want. He will gather small ammount of this once per day. You cant talk with him again untill 24h.
You get only 20 fibers, or 10 silver geckos skins. Golden are 10 too...probably.
To get skins of g.gecko you need to bring him 2 assault rifles and 30 bullets of 5mm ammo. To get 10 silver gecko skins you need to bring him 2 hunting rifles and 10 .223 bullets. Guns will stay in your inventory, without loosing cond. Everytime you will loose only 10 bullets of .223 type. You can bring even thousand, theres no bug so you will not loose it more than those ten.
On sunday evening server time I will gather info about others resources he can get.

Anyway, its more profitable to do it yourself. One per day with one homesteader sucks. He should be able to do it every hour or every two hours, or we should be allowed to have at least 4-5 of them, than one per day would be enough. For now its only waste of cash if you ask me.

They could gather meat or meat jerky, junk and brahmin hide too.
I will put more info tommorow, when I will have more time.
(Im out of home)

Or better, having a homesteader or multiple should simply start generating resources in a locker. I believe the homesteader feature has been there somewhere since one of the later sessions of 2238, but I never actually tested it myself.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 12:04:03 pm »
Improving Homesteaders is in plans already.