May 02, 2024, 07:07:04 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Another NewP Guide...  (Read 9567 times)

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Another NewP Guide...
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:35:17 pm »
This is far from done, but for whatever its worth, here is another new-player guide, designed only for truly new guys who need basic orientation, and would like to get started without wasting time on a blind build. Intended for PvE'ing and quest-taking. So if you know how to play this game already, or you intend to dive straight into PvP, then don't even bother reading it (unless you want to help in some way).

This guide will not be completed anytime soon, and maybe ever at all depending on how much time we have left in Season 1. This is because i expect it will be very outdated as soon as Season 3 begins, whenever that is. Yet...it should be helpful to some who are very new. Ideally, you find this guide on your first day here.

Background
I am so glad when i see a trickle of new players filtering through Hub, but so sad when i realize they think their old Fallout 2 build should work here, and also when they don't know about Boneyard Guard perk, or where to get xp for the first few levels, or anything about the mines or crafting, or Skill Books, or even where to get Awareness. Hence this guide. I believe Season 3 will have some new features that help a lot with this, but maybe this guide will help with whomever starts between now and then.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 07:59:39 pm by Henry »

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
Re: Another NewP Guide...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:10:17 pm »
I gave it a once over to about half way.
Looks pretty good...
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:19:14 pm »
Aren't uneven numbers like 7 not recommended?

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:26:25 pm »

Depends on the build or stat. For IN (as per the example) it's not a real issue. Usually its AG or EN that is recommended be an even number. Seems fine to me..

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:52:04 pm »
Depends on if it's a drug build and what kind. AG of 5, 7, etc go up 1 with just nuka cola. Haven't really tried the other drugs.... mentas is +2 i think, so odd wouldn't help any.
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 12:06:11 am »
Depends on if it's a drug build and what kind. AG of 5, 7, etc go up 1 with just nuka cola. Haven't really tried the other drugs.... mentas is +2 i think, so odd wouldn't help any.

The build science for reloaded is pretty impressive imo. I recommend all new players study this -> before building a character.
http://www.fonline-reloaded.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Level_Perks

Choose out your perks before anything. Then start leveling your character, but be careful when allocating points.

Before choosing a perk you can hit cancel, allocate your points, save, then go back to your character screen AND THEN select a perk. This way you can select perks with skill req'd at an earlier time, just allocate the points first, then bam, the perk shows up.

Just some noobie advice.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 01:06:36 am »
...or even don't choose a perk at all until 2 more levels. Some builds are so tight with Intelligence 2 or 3 that it requires not taking your level 3 perk at level 3, but wait until level 5, do what Corosive says and dish out skill points and then barely meet the requirements for your level 3 perk.

Avoiding odd numbers is a general rule that applies to some stats but not to Intelligence at all, imo. The idea on this startup character is...most new guys want to hurry up and get to level 24. Higher IN helps the new player be more functional sooner. Main thing is its just a lead-in character for starting up in this game. It's not an elite fighter with stats planned to exact perfection. It's for new guys to start strong, and get oriented in an orderly fashion.

Of course...it will all be out-dated after next wipe...whenever that is.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:18:29 pm by Henry »

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 07:23:07 am »
Hehe, generic noob build #434991

S 5
P 6
E 6
C 6
I 6
A 10
L 1

Traits

Good Natured
Fast Shot

Skills

Small Guns 201%
Outdoors 100%
Speech 150-175% ish (don't remember the math right now)

Perks

3 -> More Criticals
6 -> Even More Criticals
9 -> Bonus Ranged Dmg
12 -> BRD x2
15 -> More ranged Dmg
18 -> Bonus Rate of Fire
21 -> Action Boy
24 -> Action Boy

Grab the support perks available and end up with 222 party points = 2 npc human companions
12 Action Points, 18-20% Critical Chance at 1 luck.
Grab a bursting weapon aka P90 and you're good to go.

After you hit level 24 put some points into Repair and become a crafter.
This is a good all around generic build that can be used for both PvP and PvE and Questing.

(Do not allocate points to anything but Small Guns until it reaches 200+%)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:26:00 am by Corosive »

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 10:48:56 am »

S 5
P 6
E 6
C 6
I 6
A 10
L 1

Grab the support perks available and end up with 222 party points = 2 npc human companions

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there.  CH6 isn't necessary to recruit two companions, especially with Good Natured.

You don't need 200 party points to lead two companions, only to recruit the second companion.

Good Natured = 50, Magnetic Personality = 50.  Mentats, Beer, and a +CH armor give you another 40.

Just bump Speech up to around 200, get Magnetic Personality, and use drugs to recruit that second companion.

Go 1 CH, and allocate those other SPECIAL points into EN, PE, or ST

(Not intending to correct you, but for the benefit of those who may be reading)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:52:19 am by Wind_Drift »

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 03:33:12 pm »

S 5
P 6
E 6
C 6
I 6
A 10
L 1

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there.  CH6 isn't necessary to recruit two companions, especially with Good Natured.

You don't need 200 party points to lead two companions, only to recruit the second companion.

Good Natured = 50, Magnetic Personality = 50.  Mentats, Beer, and a +CH armor give you another 40.

Just bump Speech up to around 200, get Magnetic Personality, and use drugs to recruit that second companion.

Go 1 CH, and allocate those other SPECIAL points into EN, PE, or ST

(Not intending to correct you, but for the benefit of those who may be reading)

:) I appreciate it. But this build is an anti-drug build. It's like a hippie lol.

But yes! If you plan on exploring drugs, it unlocks a whole new world. One that isn't very nooby friendly. But seeing as drugs have received an amazing freakin buff.... Look into drug builds, seriously.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 06:24:47 pm »
Yup, making build not based on drugs is making build weaker than drug junkies. Not taking drugs  is like staying two steps behind others :(
GUN FOR HIRE

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 08:23:54 pm »
Yup, making build not based on drugs is making build weaker than drug junkies. Not taking drugs  is like staying two steps behind others :(

Well it's not a "drug build" in the sense that they're required for the build to function properly. You only need to use them once to recruit the companion, and not anytime after that.

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 10:56:57 pm »
Good God, I was not trying to correct you. I just wanted to remind to all of us, that without drugs character will be much weaker than others. Back to charisma...I would don't even try to start this subject, it should be one for everyone. There are six more proper ways to use your SPECIAL points.
GUN FOR HIRE

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 03:39:02 am »
Good God, I was not trying to correct you. I just wanted to remind to all of us, that without drugs character will be much weaker than others. Back to charisma...I would don't even try to start this subject, it should be one for everyone. There are six more proper ways to use your SPECIAL points.

I may have quoted the wrong person.  :D

I know you weren't trying to correct me, please don't take it wrong.

:)

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 08:08:05 am »
I'm not, I wanted just to explain :D
Anyway if I take 9 End to be shooter/sniper build....it's only 17hp difference between them...
GUN FOR HIRE