May 16, 2024, 12:33:40 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Realtime and Fallout dont mix  (Read 8077 times)

DemonHunterV2

• Supporter
  • Lifes to short to be sober
    • View Profile
Re: Realtime and Fallout dont mix
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 03:55:16 am »
please reread what everyone has just posted. wheres the tactics gonna be in tb? wheres all the rushing and crap in tb? its goona be boring as hell if tb is the only form of combat

FalloutVet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 04:03:24 am »
To the fellow with the uncreative name, overly-tacky, gigantic signature and quote from Hitler. You are a wall and a Troll, please feel free to continue bumping my thread with your unconstructive posts and lack of wit. Your questions are answered by my original post and stink of rhetoric so I will not argue with you or reply to any new ones. Thank you for the bump.

DemonHunterV2

• Supporter
  • Lifes to short to be sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 04:05:54 am »
coming from the one trying to change a game completely. you take out realtime you kill fonline. now have a good day sir/mam

ALSO seeing as your account was made today you either are already a current member and too scared too post your opinions as you know you would be flamed OR your completely new too fonline
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:08:20 am by DemonHunter666 »

FalloutVet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 04:34:51 am »
 All right everyone I'm off for the night. My thanks to all of you who shared your opinions maturely with class and also to those of you who bumped the thread with unconstructive opinions and somewhat... less class.
 Remember; fOnline is already doomed. Changing it for the better will save it by bringing in the hardcore fallout fans like myself, as opposed to the fickle 'Bethesda Fallout' fans, who will abandon fOnline the moment something else chaotic and flashy catches their eye.

Enzo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 08:16:44 am »
As much as I love TB combat, I don't see this working in terms of mass pvp. Although it's worth a shot just to test if anyone is willing to do the legwork in the programming department. Seems like a hard thing to tweak and implement. I must add that it seems over complicated the way you suggest giving seperate teams turns. A lot of the time it's unclear who's fighting who and who might want to backstab someone else.

An alternative might be to make every turn last 7 seconds (don't start singing) in which everyone gets to do everything at once. This means action points will be reset every 7 seconds. This would eliminate the need for "flee" mode, as you could just walk to the grid and exit (if you survive).

Also, as you might have noticed. A great deal of players here are RT oriented. "Forcing" people to play TB might/will have a negative effect on the population. And not meeting anyone online is no fun. You could argue that the shift to TB would draw a new set of players, but that's a gamble.

So there's really a few options here:
1. Do the scripting/programming/whatever it's called and offer it to our overlord.
2. Seek out TB fighting in random encounters. There's still players doing TB hunts and/or TB pvp in encounters.
3. Practice RT mode in Hinkley untill you get more familiar with it. Doing it more will make it less chaotic, but fast shot won't be viable :)
4. Start your own server and make it TB only.

kill n die

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 09:28:52 am »
You can set Turn-Base Only in config - It means that all Random Encounters and some quest locations will be in Turn Base. You wont fall in Real Time player encounter, however Cities and Towns are in Real Time only.

Imagine 30+ players in Turn Base fight - i had a chance to participate in such an event and You know what, it tooks more then 12 hours b4 an Admin closed it.
You wom't? Well no shit,i many times had set TB and i falled many times on RT combat...

What doesn't kill you,makes you stronger...

Perteks

• Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 09:37:50 am »
TL;DR
because you know what? TB is tragically unbalanced right now. 1 ap shot is absurd what broke that playstyle, before 2238 changed fastshot it was nice play who had better tactic near sf, right now its just who have first turn.

I love TB pvp (not that one what is now) but right now it will be better if it was totally turned off

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 09:48:43 am »
TB with 30 players = 15 minutes waiting for your turn.

TB (in combat) and RT (not in combat)  in one map = RT run free and TB stuck in place.

Team TB = the first team to move always wins.

There are problems like 15 AP fastshot/la spamers - you need PA, implants, psycho-beer, 300+ hp tank to live after 15 hits. TB is balanced for PvE not PvP.

For RT to work we would need to:
1.Make animation length in sync with AP cost (6 AP burst takes as much time as moving 6hex, 2x 2AP single shots or to punch x6 for 1AP )
2. Determine the max AP and how much time it takes to use all these AP- this would mark 'rounds'. When a round ends everybody regains their full AP (not over time, boom- full ap). Say max AP is 16 (10+jet+ 2x action boy+ap armor +1 cookie?) a move takes 0.5 sec ->1 round =8 sec. 

Number #1 is hard to do, animations are in frames and the playback rate is fixed for all I know, some animations that take the same amount of AP have more frames (minigun vs other big guns). The same action can take 5 ap for one player and 1ap for another. If the whole game runs at 20 fps and you need to play an animation @65.7 fps then you have a problem.

This would also need burst rework - it could take 3 sec to fire a minigun burst and your target could move 6 hex in that time so the dmg would have to be divided into 6 parts and applied in 6 steps.

RT combat would look like that in Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights or Knights of the Old Republic, but with no space-pause option.

... but I know RT will not be altered anyway.
I may be broke, but I ain't broken (just twisted).

Perteks

• Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 10:01:10 am »
Team TB = the first team to move always wins.

There are problems like 15 AP fastshot/la spamers - you need PA, implants, psycho-beer, 300+ hp tank to live after 15 hits. TB is balanced for PvE not PvP.

Sadly even max resist tank with max hp won't live 2 tb spamers because they always deal 10 dmg (fast shot + living anatomy) no matter what they shoot they can rape you. Dat TB balance :D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 10:14:53 am »
Oh, but you can win vs two tb spamers, you just need to be a tb spamer yourself and do the Han Solo (Han shot first!)... but then we end up with One Build to Pwn them All. No fun/don't want.
I may be broke, but I ain't broken (just twisted).

kill n die

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 10:32:46 am »
Like Peter said,TB is now only about who have first turn...

Kelin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 10:37:21 am »
You wont fall in Real Time player encounter, however Cities and Towns are in Real Time only.
You wom't? Well no shit,i many times had set TB and i falled many times on RT combat...
No you didn’t, you fell into a Both modes combat  ::)

kill n die

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 10:54:00 am »
You wont fall in Real Time player encounter, however Cities and Towns are in Real Time only.
No you didn’t, you fell into a Both modes combat  ::)
No it wasn't both mode...
I was farming NCR army (in tb ofcourse) and i fell on enco with some guy,he left so i atleast wanted to kill ncr army,i shooted one and they all rushed me in RT...

Perteks

• Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 10:59:28 am »
Huh then its bug

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 12:15:38 pm »
I agree that Real-Time doesn't fit Fallout.
I suck at Real-Time and really dislike it. It feels awkward.

But I also understand that Town Control would be horrble in turn-based.

I played that Underground Train Station Quest back in 2238,
where you have to kill Radscorpions, in Turn-Based and it was hell.

Turn-Based would have to be reworked completely.