May 12, 2024, 09:18:10 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Unethical ethics?  (Read 7530 times)

Enzo

• View Profile
Unethical ethics?
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:11:16 pm »
If you're a Fonline player who kills anything that moves, you can stop reading here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd just like to present the following situation that occured today:

I'm hunting for lockers and enter an encounter with a chest in it, kill everything and then end combat.
Next thing that happens is a caravan run drops into my encounter with a player.

Me, being generally unbiased in the meeting of new people say: "hi", where he responds with "hi".

Next thing I know, the guy runs down to the locker. I presume to know what he's up to and say: "nononono", but it's too late. Seconds later the locker is open and he loots it.
Within seconds, the caravan will leave the map, so I make a quick decision and kill the guy and his caravan.

I tell him it's because it was bad manners of him to do what he did, but he doesn't agree. He says I'm the one with bad manners...

Now tell me, what would you have done in my place?

shemsu

• View Profile
Re: Unethical ethics?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 06:28:35 pm »
I'd do the same.
This game is so cool that it shows how much of an asshole is in everyone of us. Some people don't shoot every player they meet. Some rape everything they see. Just because they can. When theres loot to be made, there are no rules, no courtesy. There's only the wasteland. And its harsh. As fuck.
deal with it.

Kelin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:36 pm »
In this game if you encounter someone and let him live, it is your good will and you already showed him your good will by saying hi. If this guys was impudent enough to loot your locker (you found it first after all) then all he deserves is to die.

Personally I would have killed him before he could reach the chest  ;)

Kirkor

• Supporter
  • Bang Bang Smash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 06:47:54 pm »
Well, when I started to play here, I tried to be nice and not shoot to kill... But in 90% of cases I regret that, because people are assholes. So now most of the times I shoot on sight (unless some guy looks innocent and says "hi" or something).

Sperber

• Wiki Editor
  • Forum Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 07:22:06 pm »
So, what did you kill him for? 10 caps, a rubber doll and a ball gag?

101Wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:50:17 pm »
Would add to this - Had a guy loot my stuff off the ground when I was picking things back up.  Wasn't anything major, or I wouldn't have dropped it, but I was overweight and sorting things out.  He took my flint, started crafting it right there in front of my.  It's cool though, I remember, and he's gonna get a whole heap of bullets when I catch him outside a town. 

Deputy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:52:21 pm »
Now tell me, what would you have done in my place?

i would've tagged him right before the exit grid and follow him to his tent.

Tee Lau

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:06:48 pm »
and welcome to the wasteland

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57:16 pm »
The way I see it, if it's your encounter everything in it is yours.  Loot, XP from kills, lockers, junk and flowers, etc.

The only way he has a right to it is if he can take it by force, which he clearly couldn't.

Fuck him.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 02:56:11 am »
I agree with Wind_Drift. He entered your encounter, so he should mind his manners lol. What you do about it is totally up to you, and anyone knows that could range from nothing up to killing the guy. I suppose tag-following him is included.

I will expand on this though if you don't mind, since it's related. I was mining on Junktown quarry. I was bluesuit with only a hammer, going back-n-forth between two rock clusters that were close together. I parked my mining cow in between them. So I would hammer here, hammer there, stop at cow and repeat. Along comes some girl who runs up between the rocks, right along side my cow and she starts hammering one of my two rock clusters. "Well", I say to myself, "it's a public place so she can mine here too", and I don't have exclusive claim to these rocks so whatever. I say hi and she says hi. Then she realizes that I am not going to stop my process just because she's there, and we find ourselves hammering the same rock pile. She then calls me rude. LOL! I stop to explain and we became friends, fell in love, got married and now have 3 kids.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:16:58 am by Henry »

duki

• Know Your Role!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:27:09 am »
nice one Henry  ;)

Shamessa

• Freelancer
    • View Profile
    • Rulers and Empires
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 08:20:02 am »
You did right, sir!

I find myself many times in encounters with other players, which are clearing terrain to loot chest  If I see such situation, I dont interupt, or loot anything (chest ESPECIALLY), because, what I think, its somones work that was done to obtain loot form that chest (in this case, killing everything to be able to loot easly).
Freelancer

Eloar

• Supporter & Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 08:48:58 am »
In such situation as yours I would assume he will be nice and not touch anything. Besides 'hi' or 'peace' I would warn him 'loot is mine' (or our, because I travel a lot with other player). I consider those as enough for anybody to not start any trouble. Yet as I am friendly I am cautious. I would calculate my chances. He could get alive from it only if would be stronger than my 'treasure hunter tank'.

I had no regrets when killed player who started weird talk after asked if is friendly. Nor I am sorry for other two who attaced bluesuit who entered my encounter right before them.

Enzo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 03:08:52 pm »
Good to read the reactions. I wasn't sure what etiquete there was with chests, as I'm new to lockpicking. But as with most things in the wasteland it seems that: "If you find it, it's yours. Unless you can't defend it."

So, what did you kill him for? 10 caps, a rubber doll and a ball gag?

You're missing the point Sperber, but thanks for your input.

I stop to explain and we became friends, fell in love, got married and now have 3 kids.

Erm... You've got skills man. 300% speech, 10 charisma and 10 luck :D

Strike

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 03:12:48 pm »
Worth of stuff that is mostly inside footlocker isn't enough for killing some player, not atleast for me.

It was just 1 footlocker, you find them pretty many if you spend more than few hours : D