April 20, 2024, 12:03:28 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Useful Caravan Carts  (Read 4918 times)

Catoptromancy

• View Profile
Useful Caravan Carts
« on: December 24, 2015, 06:36:39 pm »
Caravan carts can barely compete with other vehicles. The  water bags, price, speed, and trunk size make caravan carts pointless. The hassle of using caravans should be offset by lower prices and greatly enlarged trunk volume.

Carts should be able to travel with 10 players/followers with no CH requirements. Speed determined by leader's OD. Water bags should be sold by dialog from an NPC in modoc.

Medium Cart should be 1000 caps and a brahmin. 3000 trunk volume, comparable to scout.

Big Cart should be 5000 caps and a brahmin. 10,000 trunk volume. Max fuel 10.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:42:46 pm by Catoptromancy »

Mad Matt

• View Profile
Re: Useful Caravan Carts
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 09:25:13 pm »
Those carts should allow to encounter caravan encounters without getting 3 players with us.
GUN FOR HIRE

worldremaker

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 10:04:37 pm »
Propably carts were created for PvE players like crafters, traders and other kinds of economy characters.  Unfortunately some of the planned economy functions were not completed before end of 2238. Carts can be bought in guarded areas and they still can be usefull, but economy should be improved or expanded and there isn't any other option to make carts usefull.

Hungry Hungry Shark

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 10:11:29 pm »
I wrote suggestion for caravan carts some time ago.

http://forum.fonline-reloaded.net/index.php?topic=8256.msg63146#msg63146

Yes I hope they get changed

Catoptromancy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 10:22:20 pm »
Carts are mainly useless because of their price compared to buggy. If someone can afford 4000 caps for the cheapest caravan, they might as well just get a buggy. Twice the trunk space, no water bags needed.

I priced the cheapest caravan very low, so players that cant afford a buggy can use carts reasonably. Expensive caravan is same price, but it has much greater trunk volume. The expanded trunk volume and double fuel capacity should be enough that players will actually want to use this.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:24:13 pm by Catoptromancy »

worldremaker

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 11:29:12 pm »
When carts were coded and you wanted this Buggy anyway you have to get a working FCC and go to unguarded area with a large ammount of caps in inventory. Something with vehicles was changed past few years but not with carts which were designed propably for economic players as cheap vehicle, able to buy in safe location and no batteries were required to run it but only water. Progenitor of Reloaded game didn't care about crafters, traders so much like Reloaded does and no one there threw bateries at Hub's Entrance. Do you feel the difference? Carts's prices will not change anything because this kind of "vehicles" will be always useless and it can be changed with game's economy only.
For me it's interesting topic but I can't hide it's also timekliller for 10/10 knifes.

Hungry Hungry Shark

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 12:12:22 am »
Carts shouldnt be just a low price vehicle, caps are easy to get. Carts were made for encounter farming on 2238 so you can stash the farmed loot in the trunk instead of going back to base

Mad Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 04:40:29 pm »
Let those carts to find caravans encounters and everyone will be happy.
GUN FOR HIRE

Yuno-Gasai

• Supporter
  • Hi, hehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 07:53:26 pm »
IMO Carts would be extremely useful if only the player and party members are able to see it on worldmap, and no one can encounter it, only if the player is inside an encounter with the cart. It's too easy to steal a car when everyone can level to get 150%+ lockpick.  Also if the cart is more efficient and doesn't burn out in 5 zones.

Also + 1 to suggestion
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

Strike

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 11:56:18 pm »
Cockroach = ~1600 vs size = doesn't match.
Buggy = ~2700 vs size = doesn't match.
Scout = ~3200 vs size = doesn't match.
Hummer = ~6700 vs size = doesn't match.

You can put more items on brahmin, than on caravan cart. :facepalm

Medium Cart

A medium-sized caravan cart.
Price : 4,000 caps
Trunk volume: 690 = Brahmin + extra
Max. fuel : 5 -> 10

Big Cart

A big-sized caravan cart in the desert.
Price : 5,000 caps
Trunk volume: 870 = Brahmin + extra
Max. fuel : 5 -> 10

Fuel consumption should be tweaked.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 12:29:08 am by Bobblehead »

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 11:03:14 am »
You really shouldn't have to buy a brahmin caravan, you should be able to build it, along with attaching a tamed brahmin or 2.

Anyone ever play that game freelancer? You could purchase quantities of certain cargo in one place, then transport them to another and sell them for a profit.

If we had something along these lines, the caravan carts could function like freighters, being very slow but having crazy carry capacity, whereas lighter vehicles, like the scout, cockroach and buggy could have reduced inventories, being used solely for player transport (with some gear).

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 06:01:29 pm »
You really shouldn't have to buy a brahmin caravan, you should be able to build it, along with attaching a tamed brahmin or 2.

Anyone ever play that game freelancer? You could purchase quantities of certain cargo in one place, then transport them to another and sell them for a profit.

If we had something along these lines, the caravan carts could function like freighters, being very slow but having crazy carry capacity, whereas lighter vehicles, like the scout, cockroach and buggy could have reduced inventories, being used solely for player transport (with some gear).

+1 cause your ideas are epic.

I made Caravan Carts more useful already, but completely forgot about this generic basic idea!

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 10:23:19 pm »
I made Caravan Carts more useful already, but completely forgot about this generic basic idea!

:)

It could be stuff as simple (and as heavy) as meat, water, pelts, rocks, etc and more expensive and elusive stuff like steel, moonshine, raw drugs, fish, etc. In one mining/quarry town for example, they could sell rocks and steel for very cheap, but buy water and food at high prices.

With the slowness of the caravan, and possibility to make it ambush-able on top of the normal encounters (as in these kind of caravans could become visible to other players who are nearby on the WM), it could make for some interesting stuff. Basically player driven caravan runs, for pure cash profit as a caravaneer.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 10:33:03 pm »

:)

It could be stuff as simple (and as heavy) as meat, water, pelts, rocks, etc and more expensive and elusive stuff like steel, moonshine, raw drugs, fish, etc. In one mining/quarry town for example, they could sell rocks and steel for very cheap, but buy water and food at high prices.

With the slowness of the caravan, and possibility to make it ambush-able on top of the normal encounters (as in these kind of caravans could become visible to other players who are nearby on the WM), it could make for some interesting stuff. Basically player driven caravan runs, for pure cash profit as a caravaneer.

Going to try to come up with a nifty new system before release. I already have new trading content but nothing like "buy this item in x town and trade to y town for profit". Would be ideal to make caps and xp buying goods and transporting them to different cities. There's new jobs similar to the idea, but I want something much more specific that uses the barter skill.

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 10:46:24 pm »
Going to try to come up with a nifty new system before release. I already have new trading content but nothing like "buy this item in x town and trade to y town for profit". Would be ideal to make caps and xp buying goods and transporting them to different cities. There's new jobs similar to the idea, but I want something much more specific that uses the barter skill.

The question would be how to do it i guess, you could just create a bunch of different items (all using the crate picture and sprite), and a bunch of vendors who sell/buy them at varying prices, and who perhaps also provide some hints about good trade routes for new traders.

Or you could just use the items already available in game and link it to the global economy and trader system (or caravan system) already in place.

The latter seems like it would require a lot more effort, but would add a nice level of depth to the systems in place. The first option seems like the "quick and easy" method, but then again, I don't know too much when it comes to modding these, you probably already know a better method. :)