March 28, 2024, 12:39:49 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Basic Auction Template  (Read 4919 times)

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
Basic Auction Template
« on: December 15, 2015, 01:24:11 am »
This may seem obvious and unnecessary, but you'd be surprised at the people who don't yet know how to make a proper auction. There is no exact way to make an auction, but there are a few necessary steps in order to host an effective one. In any auction, you will want have these components.

TITLE THE AUCTION - Duh. Put the name of your item. For example, "Auctioning Vindicator Minigun".

DESCRIPTION - Here you will write a little bit about the item you are auctioning. For example, "The Vindicator is 100/100 condition, and comes with 200 free ammo" It's also a good idea to add images of your item, but this is optional of course.

STARTING BID - This is how much caps/items you want the bidding to begin at.

Examples of Starting Bids,
Starting Bid: 200,000 Caps - If you prefer a caps only auction
or
Starting Bid: 20 Pancor Jackhammer - If you prefer a items only auction
Or you can have
Starting Bid: 100,000 Caps AND 10 Pancor Jackhammers - If you want a mixed auction

MINIMUM RAISE - The minimum raise is pretty self explanatory; it's the lowest bid a player can place above the current bid. Usually, it is a good idea to keep your minimum raise price at about 10% of your starting bid value. This can be in caps or items; whichever you allow.

Examples of Minimum Raises,
Minimum Raise: 20,000 Caps
or
Minimum Raise: 2 Pancor Jackhammers
or
Minimum Raise: 10,000 caps and 1 Pancor Jackhammer

AUCTION END TIME - This is simply how long you want the auction to last. An average auction lasts anywhere from 24-48 hours. Often times, someone will try to do last minute bids to "snipe" the auction. Since this is unfair, some people will extend the auction for another hour after each bid past the announced end time.
For example, someone places a bid with only 10 minutes left of your auction. This isn't fair to other bidders who may not be online at the time. So when this happens, you could announce that the auction will go on for another hour.

(OPTIONAL) BUYOUT PRICE - This is a set amount that would instantly buyout the auction. It's normally set much higher than the items actual value, just in case someone really needs the item you are auctioning. For example, an item is worth about 100,000 caps in direct trade so you would set the buyout price at something like 350,000. Most people don't even bother with buyouts, but they are a fun option.

Now I will give you an example auction.

Title - AUCTIONING A UNIQUE GATLING LASER

Description - This Gatling Laser is brand new, 100/100. It is +25% Minimum Dmg, +25% Maximum Dmg, +Action Point, +5 Range, and +5 Crit Chance.

Starting Bid - Starting Bid - 80,000 Caps

Minimum Raise - Minimum Raise - 8,000 Caps

Buyout - Buyout - 300,000 Caps

End Time - Auction ends in 24 hours, or 1 hour after the last bid in the allotted time.

One more note, make sure you have some basic idea of an items value, or you will over-price and scare away potential bidders. Or worse, you could under-price and sell the item for much less than it's worth. To find rough player-values of items, browse through the Barter Grounds sub-section, and find some old auctions or "want to sell/want to buy" posts. This should give you an idea where to base the prices in your auction.

I Hope this guide will help you make more effective auctions, and I'm sure it will help you to avoid trolling and flaming in the Barter Grounds. Good luck, and happy auctioning!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:55:09 pm by Gimper »

Jish the small

Re: Basic Auction Template
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:20:37 am »
This Post Is very gay

bossman2316

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 04:02:05 am »
What are your thoughts on this someone did a auctiin i won The auction i pm for item never got pm back three weeks later i seen them online pm for item and they say something higher then what we already agreed on because i didnt get it when he said i won but i never got a pm back from him? :'( :'(
peace is a lie there is only passion through passion I gain strength through strength I gain power through power i gain victory through victory my chains will be broken....

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 07:22:18 am »
Boss man wtf are you talking about... This is a template thread.

Kaaon

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:34:47 am »
Good post. Btw auction end doesnt need to be fixed time, great way to avoid sniping is setting your auction end time X hous after last bid  ;)

General Devon Oliver

• Supporter
  • For Valor!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:50:04 am »
Its a good and reasonable post its more civilized and organized.
Merc For Hire, Universal Player

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 06:56:01 pm »
Good post. Btw auction end doesnt need to be fixed time, great way to avoid sniping is setting your auction end time X hous after last bid  ;)

I agree, but this is just a template, not a rule. I fixed it anyways  ;D

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 04:01:40 pm »
Bump

Gimper

• Supporter
    • View Profile