March 28, 2024, 11:53:42 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Random event generator  (Read 776 times)

Blarney

• View Profile
Random event generator
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:20:27 am »
First off, I am not a FO2 modder or script writer in general (though I know some basics), but I figured someone who did know might be able to make some kind of event generator, that doesn't have to have devs or moderators active to run (though if they were active of course they could participate or monitor). The events that the mods and devs run usually attract good numbers of players and provide interesting and fun ways to meet players, talk shop and get a chance at some nice loot, but it seems like a chore to have someone personally run and moderate such events quite frequently.

Something along the lines of;
Spoiler: show
An announcement is made that an event registration has opened, an NPC in the Hub (or wherever) would appear (or open dialogue options on an NPC already there), asking players if they want to register for the event (with the hinkley requirement of having no gear on or in inventory to accept). If the player says yes, they are transported to a waiting room with all the other players that accepted, until a certain amount of time has passed and the "event" begins.

A few moments after registration is closed an announcement would tell the players in the waiting room what kind of event it was going to be, then shortly after this, the players in the waiting room would be moved into the event starting positions, whatever they may be for whatever event/map is randomly generated.

As for the events themself, there could be several different ones (different PvP scenarios, easter egg hunts, even just simple games of chance, etc), with some randomised variables (loot spawn locations etc), and the player would not know what event he was registering for (to stop people bringing their best alt for the particular events).

Once they were working as intended, the amount of events (or frequency) could be determined by the kinds of rewards available, there could be daily or 12 hour events with average rewards (caps, drugs, t3 gear etc) which could be boosted on the weekend to top end gear. Or the events could be run on a random timer (randomly selected rewards each time could work too), so that the frequency of events was unpredictable and favoring no timezone in particular.

I figure, the more random the better, as it probably gives more chance that the winners of the random events will vary quite a bit more than the winners of predetermined events, though I'm sure the more skilled players would still be the most frequent winners particularly in PvP events, other lottery style and funny events may provide skilled players with no real advantage over newer or average players. This would ensure that the distribution of loot (and high end gear if such rewards were added) was relatively even (and also fun!).