March 28, 2024, 01:07:06 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Theories, Science, and Lessons Learned  (Read 1741 times)

Admiral Zombie

• View Profile
Theories, Science, and Lessons Learned
« on: June 05, 2015, 06:15:47 am »
Observation:

The perks More HtH Criticals as well as Better HtH Criticals both specifically mention applying "when fighting with melee weapons or unarmed"

The perks More Critical, Even more Criticals, and Better Criticals do not mention anything similar on the wiki for "when fighting with X." They only have a prerequisite of various ranged attack skills.

Theory:

Could the critical perks associated with ranged attacks possibly stack with the HtH/Melee critical perks, although not vice versa?

The Test Plan

It would be rather hard without an extremely large sample size to test the probabilities involved with more criticals and even more criticals. However I can more reliably test the better criticals. Assuming the critical tables on the wiki are up to date, then I should only be able to achieve a knockOUT with an aimed torso shot if I have some kind of critical power booster, as a knockout should only happen on a roll of 101+

Attempting the Test

Once I reached level 12 I grabbed better Criticals. Making use of some recently made friends, I sat around punching some people in the torso. I realized my error when some of them had stonewall, so i was rarely getting knockdowns. Much less knockouts. Eventually figured out which in the group had no bonehead, no man of steel, and no stonewall. And so I punched him a bunch. Nothing for quite a while, but it could have been bad luck, as we were doing other shenanigans at the same time and he was wearing combat armor. It should have been -10 to crit roll versus my +20 to crit roll (so should have been 10% of a knockout if the theory were correct).

Went on an expedition. And I punched a bunch of NPCs Geckos. Weird things happened, and I sort of learned that different NPC races may have different critical roll charts.

Found some homeless family, and started punching them for a while. When they were almost dead, I would heal them, and continue punching them (I didn't kill them, I left them bloodied and unconscious in the wastelands is all)

But there were no knockouts.

It was then that I read the in game description of better criticals rather than the wiki description. The critical hits you cause in ranged combat are more devastating.

Conclusion

The wiki is a liar and should not be trusted. Science prevails. It has been fun though.

EDIT: A few people have claimed that the crit chance perks work with close combat. Reading the in game descriptors for them there is no mention of ranged combat like there is for better criticals. I'm not about to test this first hand, as it would be harder to prove with certainty. I will leave it to others, or the developers to speak of their secret plots and plans.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:27:37 am by Admiral Zombie »

Ion Cannon

• View Profile
Re: Theories, Science, and Lessons Learned
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:56:58 am »
There is source so you can check by yourself the things, not directly in game, math in scripts doesn't lie.

gauvaran

• Random noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:00:00 am »
Yeah I was wrong, just check the script

Admiral Zombie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 02:57:53 pm »
I have the files now, but half of the fun is testing an idea in game and doing things. Had I gone straight to the source, I wouldn't have as strong of a first hand experience of how effective or ineffective certain other things were along the way. Gotta find fun somewhere when people are just hiding in caves.