April 26, 2024, 11:51:31 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: So, I was wondering...  (Read 8114 times)

Antares156

• "Fear denies faith"
    • View Profile
So, I was wondering...
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:11:31 pm »
I haven't been on this server for far too long, having played around half a year before the wipe and up to the event, continuing now in this latest season. I know, I mean everyone knows that, to quote, "Troglodytes" are the bulk of this community...And there is some serious, serious idiocy going on in every corner of this game, including its forum - players have the right to that. But what strikes me most is the BITTERNESS and general hated, antipathy and other positive stances players have evolved during their playtime - has it always been this way, like even on 2238? The general feel I get is that Napalm would simply stare his adversaries to death if he met them in real life - disputes over base rapes would case mass murder if we were to form a real-life community of FO players...
I'm not sure any of this presents real sportsmanship, no matter HOW HARD you worked to get that Armor/Weapon only to loose it in PVP to a Russian in Power Armor who picked it up in the end only to dismantle it. Yes, it grinds the gears but does it really beget hatred, real hatred? So it seems.

Maybe it is just another one of Killgore's games, with us as the pawns...

Barneys

• View Profile
Re: So, I was wondering...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:39:20 am »
 ???

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:18:51 am »
cool beans

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:27:48 am »
Dear Antares156,

I agree. The game itself has been fun for me, as i was a Fallout 2 fan. But the heavier portion of this experience has been the nightmarish realizations of that hatred you mentioned. Naturally, i try to form theories about it, but it's sooooo different than how i think, and how most people i ever met before think, that theorizing about it is quite a struggle. What i lean toward is cultural differences. If you are raised in a culture that treats hatred as normal, is it any wonder that you turn out hateful? And turning out that way, you think is normal, so when someone else is scandalized by it, you say "what's the big deal?" like you really just don't get it.

Most of these players are total jackasses. But i judge that based on my own standards for behavior. In their home towns, maybe that same behavior is average nice-guy stuff. Whatever is at the heart of this, i believe its too big to easily see with proper perspective. Bottom line though is...what honor is there in killing a level 2 bluesuit with your heavy tank avenger pvp fighter in combat armor? There is none, so clearly it's one of two things in each case: either they have no sense of honor, or they don't care about honor at all.

Now if its the first, it may be a result of simply never being taught how to behave honorably. Sadly, their upbringing lacks this. If it's the second though, it's just evil. These are the guys who would sit down to play a board game called Risk, or Monopoly, and as soon as its their turn, flip the table over, spill all the pieces, and yell MUHAWHAHWHAW! like a madman. And you'd go, "Dude wtf. I thought we were gonna play Risk" and they'd go, "That's how i play! I win! HAHA!"

No honor. No sense. No sense of honor. Or they're evil. Either way, i bet they're oblivious as to their own state.

Beer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 03:23:10 am »
The explanation for this is an easy one. Some people cant take a loss without flipping their shit and insulting others. The other part of this is that its the internet, so people dont act the way they would irl. They troll people to make them mad on purpose, and then the people who have been trolled hold a grudge adn when they get the chance to piss off the guy that trolled them they jump on it, causing hate to go both ways. Simple as that. This is present in most pvp based videogames.

Barneys

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:48:55 pm »
I see you're new to the internet... try to go play League of legends I garantee you, you will think that Fonline isnt so bad after all. Also, the smaller the community, the bigger the grudges get, cause u basically always play the same guys (no choice). Ive been a top rated Age of Empires The Conqueror player for a while (the community was around 5k-10k) and there was a lot of grudges between high rated players. Now imagine a community of 50-200 people where the goal is to kill your ennemy and where there are ways of abusing some stuff... It gets cray cray!

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:40:52 pm »
Some of it's legit....
But if you go into a dedicated pvp zone...... you wandered into a bad neighborhood all on your own.....
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Antares156

• "Fear denies faith"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 10:14:05 pm »
I see you're new to the internet...

Seriously?...

As a response to all the other people who posted - yes, I understand. It's quite easy to cause an argument and hold a grudge over the internet, and that this community is no exception. However, as Barney mentioned League of Legends - I'm not sure if you've played ranked or anything but I can guarantee that there's a distinct level of maturity present in players who actually know how to play...but on FO it seems the better you are the bigger a douche you become...it's confusing. Especially in such a "small community" where player interaction can go a far way with the entire game run by player -made societies. Nobody is gonna solo PVE forever...So the moment you step into communication lines you get to notice how twisted things are. "The wasteland is a tough place", "Find another game loser" or my personal favorite "get rekkt" are all excuses (beside the last one, though it implies usage of marijuanal) and taunts to either discourage new players from playing or simply to validate your mindless behavior. THE HECK do you know about living in a wasteland? All you know is that your pent-up frustration needs it's flood gate opened...
I play this game to relax, have fun - not to satisfy sadistic needs. Yes, the internet is full of trolls and all but occasionally such run-ins tend to be fun due to the fact you really got nothing to lose but an argument no one can win either way. Here...well we know what happens when you run into UV - no matter if all you have is 6 pieces of flint - they will take them. Believe me.

Sorry about the rant. And thank you, Henry, for the quite valid response. <3

Barneys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 04:27:05 pm »
Yes i play lol ranked im silver and people are dumb.

KestreL

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 04:53:42 pm »
Don't take it the wrong way Antares156, people act much differently ingame and on forum. Most of the dickheads on this forum I know very well ingame and they are not the same. And no, I will not point fingers.

For example, I saw you mention people making comments like "wasteland is tough place or get rekkt" And to be honest. I'd probably say stuff like that on forum because it's simply trolling, does not mean I'm a bad person or Kid. It's simple taunting. You see it in almost every online game community, but if you were to meet me ingame you would see I'm a very humble person who is always willing to help players in need.

but on FO it seems the better you are the bigger a douche you become

This one is a funny one tho. It's true in few levels. But not true for whole FOnline:Reloaded Community. If you look deep at the players who do play this game you will see a few things about them. (Not speaking for everyone here). you will see there is usually something fucked up in their life if they have time to play FOnline properly. To be really good at the game you need to invest alot of time in learning its mechanics. People who take the time to do this usually have no lives or too much of a kid to know the time they are wasting. It's one of the reasons there isnt many donations in FOnline where in some other games like for example - Runescape, people pay 200euros for a sword that takes ~10 hours of grind to get.

Reason I'm playing this game would be that my internet is too slow to play other more inteligent online games, and I don't get out of the house often.

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:29:53 pm »
Reason I'm playing this game would be that my internet is too slow to play other more inteligent online games, and I don't get out of the house often.
GOLD!
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Mado

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 10:03:40 am »
My general theory is that Fonline is in fact not just an MMO it's MMORPG where players play their roles as bad, good or neutral characters. You might not even think that you play some role but the true is that everybody do this. Russians done good thing, they have created an immersive world which is not harash, bad, unforgiving, the players did that. Look at Rust (Survival game) or DayZ. Players in real life or in forums they are normal persons, in game they can be psychos, bandits or just a pray. Without them game would be just another game, while now it's creating stories and lore. Fonline is the same case, without that harash, mad, psycho players it would be dead now, it's giving unique perspective on virtual realities that we are creating and that is amazing.

Killing bluesuits is the same thing, players by killing you tell you that is harash place, but they show you that they are afraid of players and yes it's destructive for project overall because many people abandon game. (Personally i dont approve killing bluesuits)

Of course, no one likes to be beaten over and over again. It's still a game tho.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:09:18 am by Mado »

Antares156

• "Fear denies faith"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 10:48:18 pm »
...I'd play GTA V online if I could run it, not this. I understand the point with the steep learning curve and self-investment. Perhaps I was too verbose when pointing fingers but not calling names but hey? If I can't make a complaint then what can I do?

The role playing theory seems unconvincing, though I see the "games let you express your inner demons" formulation. I kinda think that generally RP is restricted to casuals, in any way. Because non-casual (not going to use the term hardcore) players do TC, AS, Warehouse, general base rapes and farming. And that makes for a very poor story of an RP character. Yeah you can kill children but there are no consequences, you can have a low reputation with a faction but that's more of a two-sided blade to restrict farming members of NPC factions. It's not there to give you a feeling of being hated. Or good. Yes perhaps relations with players can count as "reputation" but you have far more enemies than friends (unless you mention Lancer, UV, BBS give away free stuff if you mention him. Shout-out to the man!)

Still, the role play factor seems alluring. A but ugly (CHR 1) dumb ass (INT 1) twigs for arms (STR 1) athletic (AG 10) tough-as-f*ck (END 10) lucky son of a gun (INT 10), his life and adventures composed of mining and murdering people because he obviously has nothing better to do....I could write a book about that.

Ronin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 03:23:05 pm »
I coul'd play for Barcelona but don't have for airplaine ticket to Spain.

tonakis2108

• What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 09:34:54 pm »
There are a lot of opinions but no answers to the whole matter. People nowadays kill for fun(like it has been since the start of the game), it doesn't matter if you are a vault suit boy with nothing else on you I'll waste my ammo just to prove something useless. My opinion would be that there should be some laws in the wasteland like if you take out of your pocket a gun or see you with a gun etc. and these laws will be agreed among players. A lot of new players get discouraged just by the fact someone can come into the map you are in and kill you from a mile away without even seeing the guy but it's not just for newcommers, old timers should have a hard time "enjoying" the game as it is. I am in favor of some hardcore-economic community driven game but losing stuff I wasted so much time on would be the major issue if I wanted to leave.