May 09, 2024, 08:25:57 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Mapper Image Import  (Read 2639 times)

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Mapper Image Import
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:22:44 am »
Anyone who has messed at all with the Mapper tool knows how slow-going it is to make a new map from scratch. Tile by tile. This leads to using templates. Faster yes, but...

This idea is to add an "image import" feature to the mapper. That way we can capture an image from some map(s) in-game, import image(s) into the mapper, and get a HUGE head start compared to building a map one tile at a time. Then we jump straight to adding the features and border limiters etc.

I seriously doubt that the original devs who made Fallout and Fallout 2, the guys who made the first maps, made them the way we're trying to do. I say we're doing it backwards which is why its so slow. But give this community a way to put its creativity to use (in a timely manner) and we will.

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Mapper Image Import
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:56:54 am »
BUMP! SUPPORT!
In Maintenance Mode.

DocAN

• Administrator
  • Testing FO: Reloaded
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 07:35:42 am »
You can just open an existing map and modify it.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:56:02 pm »
You can just open an existing map and modify it.

Yeah, nobody recommends starting from scratch for a map. It's okay to take an old map (encounter, rarely used ones, etc) and just modify the crap out of it. That way your maps look like a Fonline map (lol). But to add a new engine feature is rough, we're talking about a few hours of engine changing, and that's just to brainstorm a productive system.

Honestly, I've done some mapper work before and it's so much easier to just take an old map and customize it. By the time you're done it doesn't look the same. You can start with ~e_desert1 and work your magic.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:25:32 am »
Okay then, please post all of your "existing maps" so we can download them and use them as map templates. I'm saying...if someone can give us a much faster way to make maps, i will make maps like crazy. I'm one of those ideas guys so my ideas for new quests are piling up in my head faster than Wind_Drift dominates a turn-based encounter in Boneyard lol.

mojuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 06:12:08 am »
Okay then, please post all of your "existing maps" so we can download them and use them as map templates. I'm saying...if someone can give us a much faster way to make maps, i will make maps like crazy. I'm one of those ideas guys so my ideas for new quests are piling up in my head faster than Wind_Drift dominates a turn-based encounter in Boneyard lol.
All maps from 2238:
https://github.com/rotators/fo2238/tree/master/Server/maps
or just download full 2238 package:
https://github.com/rotators/fo2238
("download zip" on the right side)

There is also this:
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,29370.msg260467.html#msg260467
but as we can read in readme file:
No further changes were made to the maps. To be able to use them with FOnline SDK, they have to be reworked first.

Critters are not compatible with FOnline SDK critter prototypes.
So there is some work that needs to be done here.

There are also some templates here:
(I recommend reading entire topic if it's first time you see it)
http://forum.newfmc.pl/index.php?topic=47.msg578#msg578
You can also make your own templates like that, one time work (copy paste from maps or make it from scratch) and if you do it well you can make maps from ready blocks.

There is also nice cave creator tool:
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,26058.0.html
:facepalm

Wipe

• Random is god
    • View Profile
    • FOdev
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 01:30:01 pm »
This idea is to add an "image import" feature to the mapper That way we can capture an image from some map(s) in-game, import image(s) into the mapper, and get a HUGE head start compared to building a map one tile at a time.
That makes no sense.

Client is not aware of whole map content, only a part of it; dynamic elements are sent only if they appear in FOV; and still it doesn't cover everything what you need to recreate map properly. It's honestly easier more sane to send .fomap file to potential mappers instead of building such feature.

...and background for it has been done already. Mapper is going be part of client update, and always in synch with server. As you may guess, adding template maps is not a problem; encounters would be a best pick here, as they rarely change [so they won't affect update time] and are simple enough to be used as a base. In fact famous e_desert1, mother of dozens of quest locations across all servers, is already configured that way - adding more is absolutely no problem.
Games are meant to be created, not played...

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 05:03:50 am »
I'm very glad i started this topic :) and thank you very much for the links. I will be looking for one map in particular: the intrepid "bunker base" map (so I can expand it and add more levels) but that's only one thing among many on my mind. And now i have a PM from a pro mapper. I think we're gonna meet in TS for some mapper orientation soon.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:05:01 am by Henry »

OldBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 01:24:00 pm »
Tile by tile.

You dont know "magic combo" ctrl+c ctrl+v?  :o

This I make in 10min(~2min for make screenshots) using "magic combo"  :D

I dont make more screenshots couse iam lazy  ::)

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:08:58 am »
Maybe you can meet with us in TS sometime soon. Last night i was shown about "framing" your map square using hex blockers on the outside of the map to establish its borders, as like a first step. My maps all lack this which is why they came out funny shapes.

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 11:37:18 am »
Videos about mapper

Watch how she builds maps.

I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

OldBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 02:39:11 pm »
Maybe you can meet with us in TS sometime soon.

Now all my time(~1 hour per day) I make a map for Dayglow:

1. HQ of Dayglow Company
2. Enter/Exit grid Gardens
3. Enter/Exit grid Gate
4. Enter/Exit grid Graveyard
5. Hangar
6. Airstrip (when you alight mechanic from hangar can give a quest thats require vertbird(Strange lights at the top mountain)
7. Town Hall
8. NCR Embassy
That rectangle is expected TC zone if able  ::)
Dont know when I finish this and dont know if someone make a map for that location already.  :)

Urukhai

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 05:39:13 pm »
It will be quite annoying to zoom while running on that map.  :-\

and what is this supposed to be ?