April 20, 2024, 08:12:51 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: 14mm sniper rifle (re-think-it)  (Read 8441 times)

Troll

• Supporter
  • Trollmageddon soldier
    • View Profile
Re: 14mm sniper rifle (re-think-it)
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 06:28:02 pm »
You don't get it Help Bot, it's not about having something realistic, it's about game balance. Snipers are fine, a bit random, but fine. It's just that it lacks of damage in comparison of other weapons, that's why the idee of a better sniper rifle. If you want to blow heads off in a single shot go play Counter strike or Insurgency. This is RP game, and thus non realistic.
I think the gameplay need some improvements, like lowered average DR and some reworked crits/helmets, a better sniper rifle (maybe more armor piercing but lower damage, like 14 mm pistol vs .223) and it would be fine.

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 07:06:05 pm »
You don't get it Help Bot, it's not about having something realistic, it's about game balance. Snipers are fine, a bit random, but fine. It's just that it lacks of damage in comparison of other weapons, that's why the idee of a better sniper rifle. If you want to blow heads off in a single shot go play Counter strike or Insurgency. This is RP game, and thus non realistic.
I think the gameplay need some improvements, like lowered average DR and some reworked crits/helmets, a better sniper rifle (maybe more armor piercing but lower damage, like 14 mm pistol vs .223) and it would be fine.

More consistent damage would be nice, but current crit table isn't favorable to higher damage single shot weapons. Any new weapon added will suffer the same problems, either the majority of the damage roll will be absorbed by DT/DR, and it will do very low damage, or it will bypass and deal way too much damage.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 07:58:55 pm »
Can we get a facepalm smiley for the forum?

Done.

:facepalm

Wind_Drift

• Supporter
  • Section 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 08:05:31 pm »
Making snipers more than multiple crit or bust?
On a quick shot build it'd be 3 AP a shot so 4 shots in TB a turn for 100-200 damage.

Reasonable IMO. As is...but it'd seem to just be a slight upgrade. Snipers still seem gimped compared to BG's.

Though TBH this problem could be fixed if we increased the AP for Plasma rifles and their range too.

That way we wouldn't be having 20 Turbo shots, nor would we have snipers being worthless being crit or bust.

If I recall not many things aside from Tesla block Plasma, and Tesla doesn't block normal damage.

Even then, I'd still like this idea it'd give a reason to make 14mm rounds or to scav them.

If anything I think this sniper rifle should do 75-125 damage. Sniper rifles IRL are designed to destroy tanks or decimate heads like watermelons. A crit from an Anti material sniper rifle to the head should kill anything even in PA cause come on IRL your head would be off. The can crushed, and the car behind you on fire.

Snipers aren't fast, nor should aiming them. 9-10 AP wouldn't be unreasonable I think especially if the gun has a very good chance to insta gib like what heavy weapons do.

---Random Musing----
Crit or Bust is fine IMO, just that the Crit shouldn't be 10 Crits. Especially with so many tanking perks. I think the game would be more fun without any tanking perks. It'd change how things play out and maybe more players would be here.

Alternatively Snipers could just be hidden unless the person being shot passes a sneak check (Takes a sneaker to find one right? IRL) If under a certain weight(when moving or shooting). Armor be darned Cause ghile suits are IRL things too. Of course if there's a weight check involved you probably won't be some space marine and hidden.

With all the perks we gotta give a sniper a chance to offload 10-20 rounds after all. The Tanks will be fine. Balance Balance. If everything is tank or bust there's no need to have any skills at all. Just have everyone be level 24 same stats, and bam utopia Anything else would stink anyway eh?

It'd be nice if a sneaker at 300 sneak will also be seen by anyone (hidden from teammates too might already be the case) at 1 tile = 1 perception, If Stealth Boy'd then they'll show on motion sensors cause the stealth boy emits a field which moves around the target otherwise due to stealth boy rarity the sniper will be always hidden unless firing, upon firing the stealth boy should be auto turned off (The kick from the rifle being enough to distort the field to the point it over charges, and resets the device like a circuit braker), hopefully long enough for a close perceptive/experienced in the art of stealth BG to unload. Or blind fire, such blind fire during WWI downed a plane after all.

If a sniper is stationary I don't think weight should be considered only when shooting or moving, as weight means sound and sound means perception can see. This way the sniper will most likely always be hidden and have a chance to get a shot off at least. Why shouldn't the hidden camper always get the first shot?

Snipers IRL and in games should be campers. They dominate games for a reason. In most of the games I've played snipers are anti tank weapons. Out ranged, and enough damage to ruin a tank's momentum.

It'd be cool if Guns were divided between Rifles and Automatics. With any single shot weapon's accuracy being determined by the rifles skill, while any burst fire with Small guns being determined by Automatics.

Auto firing a shotgun isn't the same as aiming a sniper scope.

:facepalm

(Thanks, Kilgore)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:09:10 pm by Wind_Drift »

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 11:26:19 pm »
Bump. So uh... 14mm sniper? I'd be really interested in seeing this, mainly because of variety. It would be nice to have a use for all that 14mm laying around.

Help Bot

• Forum Troll; Wiki Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 01:35:29 am »
14mm SMG lets call the Baby Bolter. -JK
In Maintenance Mode.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 01:53:20 am »
Someone else suggest it and there's a discussion.

I suggest it and kilgore just be like, "lol nope"   :-X

14mm sniper can be the anti-tank sniper :D

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 07:06:27 am »
I love sniper rifles so you get a biased +1 from me by default :)

But in regards to balance etc, I don't know what role I would prefer such a rifle to fulfill.

It could be interesting if the current sniper rifle was changed to be lower AP cost with a higher armor piercing capability (for quick firing snipers), while the 14mm rifle was high AP cost and higher base damage (for heavy crit based snipers) or vice versa, that way they are different rifles at heart, but their range could stay the same.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:13:07 am by Blarney »

Kaaon

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 07:59:10 am »
It could be interesting if the current sniper rifle was changed to be lower AP cost with a higher armor piercing capability
im trying to keep back from such " :facepalm topics" but i couldnt resist to ths..
its ammo does have -30 DR its enough to pierce armors, problem with DRs isnt there
AP cost of sniper rifle was already decreased and there is no need to decrease it even more, it would just cause even more KOs etc.. weapons was boosted by more then enough in overall, just browse changelogs during first season
offtopic sry

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
I meant lower in relativity to the theoretical 14mm sniper rifle, I didn't mean lower its AP cost, just that it would be a lower AP cost sniper rifle compared to it's alternative.

If one was 5 AP per shot and the other 7 AP per shot for example.

Misplaced facepalms, that makes me  :facepalm   ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 11:21:35 am by Blarney »

Adams

• Bang Bang Smash ty buzerant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 12:26:41 pm »
Maybe add dildo launcher too.

Ed Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »
I do suggest remove no pvp/ no stealing from Hub!
Bozar is already sniperlike with burst mod so i do not think there is a need for another sniper rifle! (yeah i fucking know that the bozar is big guns)

Strike

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 04:38:50 pm »
Nothing to do with this suggestion :facepalm

Bozar is already sniperlike with burst mod so i do not think there is a need for another sniper rifle! (yeah i fucking know that the bozar is big guns)
I agree, no need add another sniper rifle. We have Sniper Rifle, Bozar (+ LSW) and Laser Rifle for SG, BG and EW builds.

Blarney

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 07:45:05 pm »
Nothing to do with this suggestion :facepalm

This thread obviously needed more  :facepalm

He was just doing his part, we all have to pitch in  ;D

Ed Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 08:16:47 am »

Kilgore can you change the facepalm emot to this? Cheers m8