March 29, 2024, 01:23:42 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: What exactly is "Wipe"? What happnes?  (Read 10311 times)

Chosen One

• Ya. Really Me. Want More Than That, PAY ASSHOLE!
    • View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
What exactly is "Wipe"? What happnes?
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:28:27 am »
My faction (we are that small, btw) has several bases, and we planned to build several more, but we're talking about not building any if "wipe" really is as bad as it sounds..... Any (generally correct) answers please....
Mika TAN, Nika NOIRE, Traci LORDS, KMart, Sand Nigger
Former Redding Miners Union member.

"Most women watch soaps- I play Fallout."

BACK TO THE FRONT! The Front Lines Are Everywhere...

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly is "Wipe"? What happnes?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:29:56 am »
Wipe is when the data tables are purged and so we all start over with no characters, no cars, no bases, no piles of items etc. It is the total restart of a new season of the game where all players start over from scratch. Such is only needed when there are new enhancements that are too non-compliant with existing data (and data structures) to attempt a typical update which would force-fit things together that the devs can clearly see won't fit well.

Here is an example: back in 2238 we did not have helmets, but the devs were working on adding a helmet slot (and thus helmet items) to the game. This also required re-working how eye/head shot mechanics work with certain perks (i think). This was the kind of enhancement that requires a wipe because the way it was did not combine well with the way it would be, and thus a new season of 2238 began. Quick! Build a tent! lol

The alternative to this is a conversion, where the devs have to labor even harder to somehow invent conversion scripts so that existing data can be re-organized for compatibility with new enhancements. Devs are already too busy as it is - this would take too much time and work, so the easy way is to "wipe" it all out, and everyone starts over from scratch, "even Steven".

I hate wipes. All the work we do building up everything gets erased. Argh. In theory, a game project like this suffers fewer wipes over time as the game gets refined and improved. I'm hoping we don't ever see a wipe in Reloaded since 5 more years of new maps and quests could be added to flesh out the already-awesome game we have now.

Chosen One

• View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:31:09 am »
Is there maybe a way to give establishe dplayer a jump start? Like, character +stats (level, hp, skills, etc) and bank account? Otherwise, it sounds like..... uhm... it's not worth staying.....

The Rock

• Do U smell what the Rock is cooking!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:17:05 am »
Is there maybe a way to give establishe dplayer a jump start? Like, character +stats (level, hp, skills, etc) and bank account? Otherwise, it sounds like..... uhm... it's not worth staying.....

all fallout servers where or will be wiped sooner or later...
PISTOLEROS ARE LIKE

mojuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:23:05 am »
I don't get people being scared of wipe. Actually first 1-2 months after wipe is best time during session. So much to do and usually the most people online at that time.
:facepalm

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:34:03 am »
A wipe is needed for all online role-playing games, without a WIPE the gsame eventually gets boring because no new stuff aadded, if You have noticed the people who have been playing a long time look forward to the wipes.

Think of it this way. The wipe is like a new year, New beginning, fresh starts, New adventure,  New things to do, more people, better fun.

If the wipe was soon it would be aannounced, personaly I can't see it being anytime soon.

Everyone starts again so don't worry man it's actually fun and because u have faction u can all do it together restarting

:) I can't wait for the wipe to be honest it will be fun

manero

• Supporter
  • I love big guns and i cannot lie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:08:00 am »
WIPEEEEE... Server should be wiped every 4 months.

1st month - the begining
2nd/3rd month - regular play
4th month - total destruction & rare stuff madness

Bang Bang Smash

Strike

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 10:15:31 am »
WIPEEEEE... Server should be wiped every 4 months.
I think sessions should be long, as that mean more time for developers and better chance for better features after wipe.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:23:56 am »
A wipe is nothing more than a non-compatible update, which consequently starts a new season. The amount of new content with a wipe is comparable to the amount of new content with an update, so the pie-in-the-sky portrayal by pro-wipists with rose-colored glasses is a gross mis-perception of the facts. Wipe doesn't do anything good for anyone - as i said, it's a cheap fast or lazy way to implement certain enhancements (the enhancements are good, but the wipe itself is not). In fact, as far as player data goes, it's one big full giant step backwards all the way to zero. No characters, all that leveling you did, all that mining and all that crafting...your cars and bases and piles of gear, all the caps you worked so hard to get and all the drugs you amassed through trades and Barter...all gone. How anyone could like this is beyond me but i have a theory: they hate it too, but they choose to deal with it in a classic way: denial. Denial never changes...

Chosen One

• View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 07:54:45 am »
Thank you, Henry, for the answer.
I'd say it's time to lock the thread.

Strike

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:09:08 am »
@Henry

Very good text, but I think there is also other reason than denial. I don't play Reloaded much as I used to be, I help this server with wiki updates and bug finds.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:22:27 am by Strike »

duki

• Know Your Role!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:58 am »
Sometimes wipe is needed. The changes that are gonna be made with it are going to bring some people back and maybe new players as well. Ofcourse not everybody is ok with that. All the farming... starting fom 0...etc. But its gonna be ok. Wipe is needed in the near future  8)

Chosen One

• View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 06:57:18 pm »
Oh, I meant to say..... Maybe a page on the wiki for "Wipe" (with as much detail as possible) should be created......

Kaaon

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 07:03:42 pm »
found "wipe" page on 2238 wiki http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Wipe

Chosen One

• View Profile
    • Ten Thousand Maniacs®
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 11:54:37 pm »
found "wipe" page on 2238 wiki http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Wipe
Great be useful for the first time ever, cut and paste it over.