March 29, 2024, 09:35:34 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: New player + thoughts  (Read 1153 times)

Delta-9

• View Profile
New player + thoughts
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:35:42 am »
True noob to the FOnline universe here... first off, thank you for such an awesome product, the Fallout series was one of my favorites of all time and making it multiplayer while remaining true to the harshness of the wastelands is truly amazing.

Been here about a week after my good friend introduced me to the game after searching for years for an mmo that suits my needs, and I started out ecstatic that such a game exists. After trolling around for a bit with ridiculous builds that I knew would never be viable in competitive pvp, I decided to try more serious builds. I quickly realized how limited and few there are, but being pigeonholed into one archetype or another didn't bother me too much, knowing there could be tactical use of each build in different situations depending on who you are playing with. What bothers me is box farming, and free farm from guarded mines.

Box farming not as much as free farm from guarded mines, since there is atleast SOME risk of losing your stash to another player. Free farm from guarded mines, however, I could think of no way to justify it. It is as simple as click click click farming me some minerals click click click. And it rewards the player with more xp and caps than he could get elsewhere early in the game, for 0 risk = grindy timesink via tedious farming. That shit is best left to bots and hoarders. Unfortunately, grinding out some minerals is an essential part of the game if you want to progess and explore further content efficiently. Box farming is borderline ridiculous since you can relatively safely acquire near end-game gear at level 2 with no gear to support you. The only saving grace is that there is a chance, however unlikely, that you will get hijacked.

What I would like to see is a few phases in between just starting the game and box farming to near end-game gear in under an hour. It's not quite as bad as getting advanced power armor in FO2 at the start, but it is damn close. The other change would be no such feature that allows a noob like me to free farm guarded mines to powerlevel my way up to 24 and have $250k+  to spend at the end of my farmfest.

Overall, I still love the game. I love how low int affects your chat, and how npcs treat you like shit. I love the setting, and sound, the artistic style and unrestrained gore. Finally a mature themed mmo that doesn't cater to the masses in order to make the biggest buck; I get a genuine sense that this game was adopted out passion for an epic gaming experience. Thanks for hearing me out.. I am open to argument regarding defending the above features. If not, hopefully see you in-game! I am Delta-9, always looking to make some friends and share the experience together.

Happy gaming,
Delta-9 [THC]