March 28, 2024, 09:27:37 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: My suggestions for FOnline  (Read 1410 times)

Des

• View Profile
My suggestions for FOnline
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:38:14 pm »
Okay I have a few suggestions, and I realize not all will be possible;or wanted (and I wouldn't include them if I knew they were impossible; I am not familiar with the limitations on the FOnline Engine)
Obviously not all of these suggestions may be new to you or even viable, but if you disagree with anything or are curious for me to explain any suggestions post down below or find me in discord.
Posts marked with * I would be willing to contribute towards assuming someone could teach/lead me to the basics of it
Quality of Life (for retention of new players)

• Reworked UI*
Now I know there are mods for this, but when a new player joins they are not going to be instantly looking for the mods that make the game look/feel better and it would be good to have a good looking streamlined UI for new players.
Now for specific suggestions;
16p AP bar
Fresh map overlay
Updated Icons that look better

• Steamline UI interaction
Simple idea really
Shift+Leftclick instantly puts the clicked item into chest
Shift+Leftclick instantly takes selected item/full stack into inventory (Hopefully regardless of carry weight)
Shift+Middle Mouse Halves Stack of item either into inv or into chest
Control+LMB on for example a rock makes it continuously interact with the rock until it is either out of ore or you click away. That way you dont needlessly spamclick on a rock because you keep running out of AP

• Removing Turn-Based
This would better fit the game (IMO) and would remove the cheesiness of Turn Based in PVE situations. Also balancing PVP for RT and TB is 2x the work for no real reason, so I would pick RT but veterans and avid PVPers let me know if this is a bad idea :-X

• Updating the Textures*
Now this would be a lot of work but, IMO would be worth it. The original textures in most cases were created in the late 90s; and because of that they had a very (very) limited palette of colors to choose from. But now we have a full range of colors, and it would be worth prettying them up. Newer players wouldn't have as much as a visual hurdle to jump to get started.

• Texture Resolutions*
I do not know if this would be a feasible idea with the FOnline engine, but I think it is worth looking into regardless. With even slightly higher resolution textures you could fit alot more detail into in-game objects or even the world map to make the game more visually appealing towards new players and veterans alike. Also with higher resolutions you could make the UI even better looking etc. Also I do realize with higher resolutions comes more work but it would be worth it in the long run to keep the game alive.

• Tutorial style quests
Now obviously this would be DOA content for veterans, but I think it would prove useful to keeping newer players and gradually introducing them to the game-content and the various mechanics. I wouldn't need to be too in-depth or story focused, just quick tasks essentially.
Impractical Suggestions

• Augmentation instead of Implants
Now this is probably a 100%shit post but I thought it was an interesting concept so here we go. Instead of having implants have "mechanical augmentation" with essentially the same effect with a few minor/major changes. Bionic body parts, Legs-AG Arms/Torso-STR Eyes-PR Groin/Torso- EN Brain/Head-IN
Now the cost balancing would be a major issue but thats not my job ;) but essentially have them be externally powered augmentations that require a fuel source for usability. For example MFC. If for whatever reason you forgot to charge up before battle or left without fuel too long, you would be crippled on 1 or all augmented body parts. And you could use the "Drug UI" timer to either represent time left on your charge OR your fuel capacity.

• Linked accounts
Now I'm not sure if this has been suggested before but essentially have 1 meta account with unlimited character linked to that account. It would make Alts/Etc easier to manage and you could probably do some cool things with this system with leads me to the next dot

• Useful Skins
My idea is that you can find/build/buy "skins" that completely overwrite a character. For example P1 wants a Player-Controlled transport bot well when the find/build/buy the robit it links to their account and they unlock 1 new character type(1 use only) with predetermined skills/perks/SPECIAL points. I.E. Transport Bot has S-10 P-10 E-5(up to the content creator TBH) C-1 I-1 A-5(same) L-1
Now I'm 100% sure you'd say why the fuck would anyone waste their time using this. Well The robot would have a HIGH Carry capacity and would be able to  move even while overencumbered.But what about brahmin fuckwit Brahmin are dumb, and you would beable to control it. Now it doesnt necessarily need to be the example up above, but you could add utility to otherwise useless skins and have a pretty cool gamemechanic to boot. A better example would be one of those big-ass dualchaingun wielding robots. They would be superior killing machines with the cons being, 0 interation with the world. That means it couldnt open doors, loot chests/bodies, or even load its own ammo. And it'd probably be slow as fuck in RT cmbt.

• Resource Types
Now this would help with crafting ingeneral, and also adding new resources etc. Essentially have resource types. *Metal* *fabrics* *Fiber*
This would only be useful with intentions of expanding resources. I.E. if you introduced cotton/cotton refining it would be classified as the same type as hide, so you could use them interchangably between recipes a good examples as how this might look would be
Code: [Select]
Robes
cost-2 fabrics
3 fibers
then you could use either brahmin hide or cloth for fabric and also either use plant fiber or string for the fibers(resource refined from the non-existint cotton plant)
now obviously you wouldn't lose the ability to choose exactly what is needed for crafting if you chose to an example
Code: [Select]
Robes
cost-2 Brahmin hides
3 Pfibers
so you could call individual resources instead of resource types interchangably.

Now admittedly Im a newer player, but I hope to stay in the community for as long as it remains to exist. I would love to see the game full of people and I know alot of people think its on it's lasts legs and some of these suggestions may help prevent that and give it a new life. So please shit on me and call me a faggot it the posts below  ;D But for real I would like feedback on my suggestions if you all would be so kind.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:57:30 pm by Des »

Programmer

Re: My suggestions for FOnline
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:06:04 pm »
Steamline UI interaction
Simple idea really
Shift+Leftclick instantly puts the clicked item into chest
Shift+Leftclick instantly takes selected item/full stack into inventory (Hopefully regardless of carry weight)
Shift+Middle Mouse Halves Stack of item either into inv or into chest
Control+LMB on for example a rock makes it continuously interact with the rock until it is either out of ore or you click away. That way you dont needlessly spamclick on a rock because you keep running out of AP

It's already implemented, you have to use the hotkey Ctrl + LMB to put or take item from containers. Unfortunately, this feature doesn't work with the rest containers which I posted http://forum.fonline-reloaded.net/index.php?topic=12037.0 Hopefully, it will be added.

Reworked UI*
Now I know there are mods for this, but when a new player joins they are not going to be instantly looking for the mods that make the game look/feel better and it would be good to have a good looking streamlined UI for new players.
Now for specific suggestions;
16p AP bar
Fresh map overlay
Updated Icons that look better

UI (not only arts but text too) might scale according to screen's resolution, so in high resolutions (full hd or even more) everything won't be small. Dynamic scaled UI or scaled via FOConfig tool would be nice addition, I like idea about improving UI.

Removing Turn-Based
This would better fit the game (IMO) and would remove the cheesiness of Turn Based in PVE situations. Also balancing PVP for RT and TB is 2x the work for no real reason, so I would pick RT but veterans and avid PVPers let me know if this is a bad idea :-X

IHMO it's a step back. I like playing both styles real-time and turn-based from time to time, however I don't play so long so I couldn't have enough experience to talking about it.

Updating the Textures*
Now this would be a lot of work but, IMO would be worth it. The original textures in most cases were created in the late 90s; and because of that they had a very (very) limited palette of colors to choose from. But now we have a full range of colors, and it would be worth prettying them up. Newer players wouldn't have as much as a visual hurdle to jump to get started.

It looks like it isn't possible according to thousands images which should be refreshed. Like 90s game, it is based on 2D pixel arts so you have to rework every single image, I guess because I don't dig in Fallout or FOnline Reloaded files.

Developing new game like FOnline in modern technologies could be easier than rework all old stuff, Kilgore mentioned this game is quite big, so it isn't easy task to achieve.

Koniko

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:50:27 pm »
Hmmm too long to point out all of the stuff so I'll cut it to one sentence.

If you pay for it then it may be done.

The Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 06:14:00 pm »
Hmmm too long to point out all of the stuff so I'll cut it to one sentence.

If you pay for it then it may be done.
Kilgore's Vodka isn't that much tbh ::D

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• S.🅱.A.W.N.E.A.S.T
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 11:16:42 pm »
There was a long discussion on Discord on why newbies shouldn't really make suggestions.

Prime example right here, Tutorial style quest coming when wipe happens.

That's why for a next season we have prepared a tutorial location full of quests that introduce player into basic stuff like: dealing with NPCs, gathering stuff, using tools and stuff, killing simple enemies, crafting basic gear. They can leave the location at any time, but the more quests they complete, the greater their "starter package" will be. The tutorial is optional.
There are also few breaking changes that, while changing the gameplay greatly, should help new players.

Kilgore's Vodka isn't that much tbh ::D

Kilgore a whiskey man  ;)