May 22, 2017, 03:23:09 PM
Username:

Password:

Topic: web build?  (Read 589 times)

antalope

• View Profile
web build?
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:16:50 PM »
Will reloaded after wipe have web or android compatibility?

https://xp-dev.com/sc/history/76003/HEAD/?page=0

Koniko

• Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: web build?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:25:26 PM »
No cause it wont be based on newest SDK because of many incompabtilities

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:28:41 PM »
Maybe some day when I will be old, there will be stable SDK version and I will have nothing better to do  :)

antalope

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 11:59:44 PM »
Ok no problem just wondering I thought you might be waiting on cvet for some fix before you can wipe? I remember reading about a possible large engine related bug that needs fix before wipe or was I dreaming?

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:29:43 AM »
Well it looks like cvet doesn't care anymore about fixing older versions so we'll need to use other options.

Programmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
Well it looks like cvet doesn't care anymore about fixing older versions so we'll need to use other options.

Can't you migrate current version to newest or update step by step? I guess you have a lot of tasks to complete but web client or android client are promising idea. It all depends how many people just develop engine, probably not many I guess.

Koniko

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »

Can't you migrate current version to newest or update step by step? I guess you have a lot of tasks to complete but web client or android client are promising idea. It all depends how many people just develop engine, probably not many I guess.

The engine is closed source and step from revision 404 or 412 to even the one around 500 is a MASSIVE amount of work and changes. Yet we're not even speaking about 600+ where everything is completely redone and changed from the very base.

Regarding Android/iOS/Web client the game is unplayable on devices with screen smaller than 10 inches and resolution 1280x720. I've already did prove it running it on first generation Nexus 7 where it had like 3 fps with SDL "emulation" and now on Windows 10 tablet.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:01:50 PM by Koniko »

Leftover

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »
Worth mention that all revisions above 412 using only GL client what in practice would make game non-accesible for these who running it by D3D exe.

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
[Can't you migrate current version to newest or update step by step? I guess you have a lot of tasks to complete but web client or android client are promising idea. It all depends how many people just develop engine, probably not many I guess.

Actually, we've tried and wasted a lot of time on it (months). It led to nowhere because after almost two years there is still no stable version. Fortunately we've decided to go back to what's working and stayed at revision 412. Current Reloaded is even older because it's based on revision 391 if I remember correctly.

Migrating large game like Reloaded (currently: ~6.5MB scripts, ~1230 dialogue files and ~600 map files) to a new version would require huge effort, and then you don't know if you won't have to deal with some breaking changes again with the newer SDK version. Totally pointless as long as there is no stable SDK version.