March 29, 2024, 01:07:11 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Base Defender  (Read 1960 times)

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
Base Defender
« on: January 21, 2017, 03:43:19 am »
Are you kinda new? Hopefully you get your own private base (DIY for 10k caps).

Sometimes your base gets attacked though. At times like that, it sure would be nice to have some guards stationed there to help defend it. NPC Human Companion followers are weak, but not so weak if you have a bunch of them there all standing at attention, armed and ready to shoot enemies. Level them later as you want to, but meanwhile park them at your private base and let them serve a purpose.

This build is to only Level 24 (since it's so easy to reach level 24) and is meant to get 3 Companion followers. So you could make 3 of these, for example, and end up with 9 NPCs guarding your base.

ST 5
PE 1
EN 10
CH 1
IN 5
AG 9
LK 9

Tag Skills: Big Guns 200, First Aid 125, Speech 150
Traits: Good Natured + [pick your fav]
Perks: Ad-Rush, Tough, Even Tougher, LG, LG+, BRoF, More Ranged Damage, [pick your fav]
Weapon: Avenger
Combat Drugs: Nuka Cola, Psycho, Beer
Important Support Perks: Speaker, Magnetic Personality

It takes a while to find worthy companions, with EN 10 and AG 10. You'll be able to get 2 of them without any special items, but to get the 3rd one requires a few things: +1 Charisma Armor, Mirrored Shades, Mentats and Beer. If you get a BG companion, give them an LSW. If you get SG, give them a grenade launcher. If you get an EW companion, give them any plasma or laser weapon. Throwing might work too. I avoid HtH companions since they get damaged so often by friendly fire.

Anyway, park this character in the base and leave him there with the NPC guards (maybe parked in a tent). If your base gets attacked, switch to him as needed and DEFEND YOUR TERRITORY!

Alternately use him on the GR mutant cave quest if you need some practice in combat. Bring his followers into the quest for some craziness.

swinglinered

• View Profile
Re: Base Defender
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 12:03:43 am »
Nice build.

For time crunch, perhaps go for an even lower level build that does not require special items.

S 6
P 1?
E 6
C 10
I 10
A 6
L 1 (Does this affect getting better companions?)

Traits: Good Natured, anything but Loner. Possibly Skilled to jack speech faster since this build doesn't level much (just enough for Speech 125 or 240 and some OD).

Tags: Speech, Outdoorsman (just to make it easier at first), anything - maybe a weapon, but this build is just to get companions

Perks: anything; this build is not intended to get to a high enough level to get the good ones

Support Perks: Magnetic Personality, Speaker, optional Quick Learner (with Science 50- use skill books to save on points you need for Speech), whatever else.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Use a "real alt" to set up tents by where the companions are available, then start making these cheap alts. Level them until they get the support perks and speech 125 or 240.

Then grab the companions, arm them, set them up.

Repeat (this is about quantity not quality)

For SG get grenade launcher, Pancor with flechette/slug, P90c with AP ammo, or FN FAL HPFA.
I don't know if BG companions are available, but M60s have shitty ammo compared to LSW. Perhaps Avenger or Rocket Launcher.
Energy? Anything I guess, perhaps invest in Gatling Laser (25k caps?).

New players may not have the resources to deck out the companions with fancy gear, so probably go with Grenade Launchers and Assault Rifles with AP ammo.

---------------------------------------------------------
Note: I am assuming Party Points: CH 10 = 100, MagPers 50, Good Natured 50, Speech 125 or 240 = 40/80PP for 240/280 total PP = 3 or 4 Companions @ 70 PP each.
Speech 30 gives you 10PP, which would give 210 = 3 followers, but you need Speech 100 to get MagPers to make that work. Speaker is 125 Speech.

At 125 speech you get 40PP... hmmm, it seems that you have to gain a lot of levels to raise Speech for that 1 extra companion, so maybe stop at 125.

You can also simplify by using mentats and beer for +3 CHA. This gives 3 SPECIAL points to reallocate. Maybe Small Frame for 1 more point. Bruiser gives 3, but wrecks your AP. I'm suggesting the lower CHA in case you want to try giving this alt some fighting ability.

With the low end 125 speech with Tag on Speech, 10 Int, etc. it would take a bit over an hour to make and level 4-5 of these alts and deploy 12-15 Companions (there are often gobs of them at the "Egg" in SF). Maybe 2 hours, max. 3+ if you didn't have another alt set up everything ahead of time (gear, tents, etc.)

Just make sure to feed the companions to keep up morale.

Comments? What did I miss?