April 25, 2024, 05:05:07 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: Why PKing is Good  (Read 5715 times)

TKs-Mantis

• Supporter
  • Kept you waiting huh?
    • View Profile
    • TKs-Mantis YouTube Channel
Why PKing is Good
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:49:31 pm »

Troll

• Supporter
  • Trollmageddon soldier
    • View Profile
Re: Why PKing is Good
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 04:36:23 pm »
This is an interesting topic. I do agree with the fact that PKing and wild pvp in general is a feature fonline wouldn't be able to live without. The words "wasteland is harsh" are here to remind us that.

Also I'm not as agressive as the average Khan, I do kill random players myself, but only the ones that are worth shooting (CA/pvp weapon and 10 EN build/more than 200 HP). I did kill gecko hunters here and there but more by reflex shooting than actual will to kill.

I remember situations such as me spawning 20 hexes away from a highwaymen and it's driver. The guy was obvioulsy weak, and that car was everything he possesed in the game. He knew I only had to click twice to kill him, he fucking begged for his life, he would have kneeled if there was an animation to do so. I let him shit his pants for a turn or two, moving forward with a threatening flamer. I imagine the guy behind his screen, crying for he was about to loose 3 months of intense farming. At the end I didn't kill him, I explained him the mistakes he made, that he had to be more carefull. Sometimes the fear itself marks better than the actual loss, depends on people. I decided that he hadn't reached "fonline adulthood" and deserved another chance.

Unlike Khans, who are deep into the raider thing, I'm more of a hunter. I kill adults, leave youngers and pregnants alive, so that after they are grown up I have more to hunt. I don't see the point in taking things precious to someone, that have almost no value to me, just for the lolz of making someone rage. I rather wait that the player can "afford" death, instead of making him ragequit for ever. I know the "keep playing after getting rekt" is fonline's natural selection, and it's good that way, but I leave that to others.

From my point of view, it's much more fun to be seen as a threat, and thus avoided unless in group, than someone that isn't giving any chance to the oponent by using broken game mechanics (TB traps obviously). You still PK, but you don't generate absolute hatred. The player you killed feels like he has a chance, and will try again.

Since this isn't FO2, baseraping is a thing, not a good one I think. For me it feels wrong, like cheating. After defeating someone in combat, you claim the loot, you take a dead guy's stuff. It's normal, it's fair. Baseraping is having access to everything a player owns just by a matter of luck. It's not something you earned by killing him, you just steal everything and that's it. Looting is like opening a present at christmas. You open the box, look what is inside, sometimes the surprise is good, sometimes not, but it's part of the fun. Having everything at once, meh, doesn't taste as good. Also, all the stories of baseraping ended up in massive drama, made factions split, got players kicked and such. Baseraping someone is like joining the slavers, you get a nice tatoo on the forehead that says "disrespectful" and "untrustworthy". The FOnline community is a small one, and I don't think making yourself such a reputation is worth a few pixel items.

In the end, PKing is good indeed, also there are different ways to do it, baseraping on the other hand, nah.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:37:58 pm by Le troll »

Awgy

• Supporter
  • Because of the reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:48:57 pm »
As Troll said shooting poor souls that use assault rifles to kill ghouls is a waste of time, and maybe ego booster for someone that can't kill capable player. I know "wasteland is harsh" etc. etc. So I can't say I do not understand ppl that do this, and I do think PKs are in some way needed on server, otherwise everyone would have bluesuit mule to collect junk in peace etc. etc.

Base raping on the other hand is disgusting imo. I personally never was baseraped as a player (faction bases are different story but nvm), and I partially baseraped Khans thunderdome once to make a point. Truth is that experienced player have his stuff split, and it ain't easy to steal all gear he has, so baseraping is mostly done on new players which make them RQ from game.

Do we need factions like Khans in FOnline... Well Yes we do. In this small community we are like family, and Khans are like always drunk racist uncle sitting at the very end of table on thanksgiving, We all watch and listen sometimes disgusted, sometimes amused, but he is, was and will be part of family picture.

Peace Out   

Brickity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:44:08 am »
While I agree that 'PKing' can be good, I disagree with many of your points.

PvP is fun. This we can all agree on. If we didn't have PvP and we were all a bunch of care-bears helping each other, the game wouldn't have the same impact as it does now.

However there is a difference between action packed PvP and stealing candy from a baby. I think your confusing the 'thrill' you get from the latter with something else, possibly narcissism or schadenfreude.

You also need to take into account another aspect of this community. We are small. Very small. You discuss the enjoyment of PvP in many games and specifically mention Runescape, however even in it's early days Runescape still had a massive player base in comparison to Fonline.
Sure you may get some enjoyment/an erection for things such as 'base' raping' someone, but at the end of the day you're only making the community smaller by making other people hate the game.

Fuck you

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 02:58:23 am »
pk or pvp is why people play online games xD

Gargantua

• Supporter
  • Raiding since 00
    • View Profile
    • Khanscentral
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 07:43:15 pm »
Great comments everyone.

10 times out of 10 I and other Khans will let a scrub live if
- They play along
- Do what they are told
- Have a laugh
- Don't run

Their key to survival is to engage with humor. 

But when level 5 scrub decides he thinks he can take me and our 8 man power armored vertibird patrol on in TB.  That scrub will die. Or if he tries to run in TB, or wont listen, or screams profanities - he will also die.

What the non-Khan fonline community has long failed to understand - is that for The Khans - it's always about the entertainment value.  How much of a laugh can I garner at Scrubs expense (or non expense).  Not the pixel/loot value, or just for killing.

Baseraping fits into this "entertainment" category as well.  There is no frenzy in Fonline like when you hear the words "base rape now!" in Khan TS; And it's all shits and giggles.

We play for different reasons than the generic non-Khans of the Fonline community, and people don't generally understand that about The Khans.

Artem84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 03:14:51 pm »
Indeed, very interesting discussion, also from the perspective of new member of community, as me. Some thugs from Khans (respecting their privacy, called "Mr x and Mr x" for the purpose of further story) were main PKs, who teached me how harsh PK could really be in practice in fourd or fifth day of my game (i.e. about month ago), where leather armor and .44 was my best gear.

So, I generally fully agree with Mantis. From the beggining (I mean, since the first time I was slashed by PK i.e. probably first day in the game), I was very excited about threaten related with activity of PKs. This encouraged me to try to learn very quickly about the game (via forum/ Wiki), both in terms of mechanics and general info on tactic; simply everything, which inrease survivability in the wastelands.

Then, one day I faced Mr x. This appeared to be really unlucky day -  unbelieviable, he somehow managed to meet me in various encounters 4 times within approx. 15 minutes. As result, I literally have lost almost all caps and gear, which I collected from the beggining. Communication with Mr x was 'interesting', as he role-played to some extent. As he ordered me to do something in very offensive way, calling me fagout/ nigger etc. I refused (especially in further meetings, after he had vomitted and pissed off at me) and obviously got killed each time. There was little room for reacting with humor, or maybe only I am just not good in jokes, when acting under time pressure. At least, I succesfully managed to let Mr y tasted my bullet, when he accompanied Mr x last time we met.

What the above lesson gave me (apart from 10 minutes of anger and frustration) is great will to learn and develop in the game as fast as possible, so one day I could ask Mr x for papers and punish him, if he fails to present them, as he did to me. Nevermind, if I managed to do it before wipe (I doubt:) or if I managed to do it anytime in the future (hopefully I will), this (and any similar situation in the future) will make me to play hard for months or years. Initially, I suspected Mr x of sadistic/ sick mentality, but after some time I realized that it might be just his way of contributing to atmosphere of Wastelands (altough those two theories do not need to contradict to each other). The latter theory was further confirmed after reading forum, watching Mantis' tutorials on youtube (well done Mantis!) and finally by above speech on Mantis' philosophy lying behind player killing. 

To conclude, I support above philosophy and and believe that player killing (even such hursh, as Mr x does) is great part of this game. Very motivating (I am not taking about baseraping, which has not happened to me; but just in case I keep valuable gear in number of houses, to mitigate potential losses), making the game exciting and interesting from the very beggining. Another good thing is that it may naturally eliminate players, who are not enough adult to understand harshness of this wastelands and not enough smart to survive. My first impression on the game is that the community is small, but more 'valuable' than community of most of other games I played before and I assume that PK have their material role in this. 

The only approach, which I personally disagree, is the approach of PKs (allegedly being shared by 10/10 Khans, according to above comment), which say that they do not kill noob, if he does whatever they order him. Such misery players, letting themselves to behave like slaves, should be eliminated ASAP. Such behaviour would  disgust me rather then entertain. If I find PKs amusing one day (I doubt that I will do it regulalry, but maybe on occasion), I will save lives of those, who will react with honor and/or humour. But this is of course only my personal view.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:39:41 pm by Artem84 »

Troll

• Supporter
  • Trollmageddon soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 03:48:37 pm »
Then, one day I faced Mr x. This appeared to be really unlucky day -  unbelieviable, he somehow managed to meet me in various encounters 4 times within approx. 15 minutes (the fourth time, we met, he was accompanied by Mantis). As result, I literally have lost almost all caps and gear, which I collected from the beggining. Communication with Mr x was 'interesting', as he role-played to some extent. As he ordered me to do something in very offensive way, calling me fagout/ nigger etc. I refused (especially in further meetings, after he had vomitted and pissed off at me) and obviously got killed each time. There was little room for reacting with humor, or maybe only I am just not good in jokes, when acting under time pressure. At least, I succesfully managed to let Mr y tasted my bullet, when he accompanied Mr x last time we met.

What the above lesson gave me (apart from 10 minutes of anger and frustration) is great will to learn and develop in the game as fast as possible, so one day I could ask Mr x for papers and punish him, if he fails to present them, as he did to me. Nevermind, if I managed to do it before wipe (I doubt:) or if I managed to do it anytime in the future (hopefully I will), this (and any similar situation in the future) will make me to play hard for months or years. Initially, I suspected Mr x of sadistic/ sick mentality, but after some time I realized that it might be just his way of contributing to atmosphere of Wastelands (altough those two theories do not need to contradict to each other). The latter theory was further confirmed after reading forum, watching Mantis' tutorials on youtube (well done Mantis!) and finally by above speech on Mantis' philosophy lying behind player killing.

You will probably never have that revenge you seek, not until you join a group or make one. From my experience, Khans attack you alone only if they don't know you (most lone players aren't as dangerous as known faction pvp apes). If it takes more than a few hits to kill you he will run away and come back with a friend or two, because he feels much more comfortable in a 3 vs 1 fight. May you come back with backup to even the odds, then there are no khans to be found. The reason for this is that they like to PK, not pvp, they don't come if they aren't sure to win. You will get your revenge one day, but most likelly in a Town Control fight, not in a random encounter.

To conclude, I support above philosophy and and believe that player killing (even such hursh, as Mr x does) is great part of this game. Very motivating (I am not taking about baseraping, which has not happened to me; but just in case I keep valuable gear in number of houses, to mitigate potential losses), making the game exciting and interesting from the very beggining. Another good thing is that it may naturally eliminate players, who are not enough adult to understand harshness of this wastelands and not enough smart to survive. My first impression on the game is that the community is small, but more 'valuable' than community of most of other games I played before and I assume that PK have their material role in this. 

You succesfully passed natural selection, welcome to the wasteland!  ;)

The only approach, which I personally disagree, is the approach of PKs (allegedly being shared by 10/10 Khans, according to above comment), which say that they do not kill noob, if he does whatever they order him. Such misery players, letting themselves to behave like slaves, should be eliminated ASAP. Such behaviour would  disgust me rather then entertain. If I find PKs amusing one day (I doubt that I will do it regulalry, but maybe on occasion), I will save lives of those, who will react with honor and/or humour. But this is of course only my personal view.

If you are weak enough to humiliate yourself to save a few ingame pixels, kneel and lick their dusty boots, then it's fine you can live, Khans are happy. If you say fuck you, stand and fight, at best you bring one with you. They will piss on your dead body and insult you. There is no real roleplay behind that, a real roleplayer wouldn't call a dead someone a noob, makes no sense. But at least you died fighting, and didn't fuel their ego as much as if you abandoned honor. Good job dude, you did the right thing, flee, fight, as long as you keep wearing your balls it doesn't matter.

You remind me of myself, "one day, I will kill a BBS, and have my revenge". I think you found your game, you will fit right in!  :)

Artem84

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 05:04:57 pm »

You will probably never have that revenge you seek, not until you join a group or make one.

Who told I am thinking to do it by myself:)? That would be perfect, if I ever had  such an opportunity and were able to use it. But defeating Mr x, y or any other KP, who intended to dishonour me, when I was noob, with bunch of friends would be great fun too! But before I start to look for such a support, I want to learn well other (than PVP) aspects of game.

As regards PKs I am pretty sure that they do it from various reasons. Some KPs, who killed me may indeed share philosophy presented in Mantis' speech (my assumption based on conversation with them). Some others, as probably Mr x and y and those, who are happy to keep alive gutless noobs, may simply enjoy domination over other person. I think that in post-apocalyptic world, there should place for each of them. Existence of the latter group facilitates to decide, who your enemy is and to whom, who fight with your enemy, you will wish to join in the future. 

Thanks for comment Troll and hopefully, see you one day in the game!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:08:43 pm by Artem84 »

Meme Machine

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 05:14:00 am »
As someone who has been PKed (by mantis lol) I can agree with the points that he's made. I find a lot of it funny honestly, minus the part where I lose my stuff. It taught me to be more careful with how I play so I don't RQ. If there were no consequences in the game, what's the point in playing?

apocalypseman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 07:15:25 am »
Best PK quote I remember from 2238.

"Sorry bro, Wasteland is harsh."

The bastard didn't even take anything!
Adapt to the harshness or become one with the dust.

Ultred

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 09:58:05 am »
Khans roleplaying? I've died on traps or by other means a few times as a very low level character and then have three or four Khans show up. Pissing all over themselves. *piss* "RIP" , it's all I see. When they didn't even kill me!!! So can someone explain to me, are The Khans are a RP group that runs around pissing on their pants when they see dead bodies? I'm newly returned to reloaded, I've seen a lot of things here an elsewhere but this is a first. A PVP PK Group pissing all over themselves when they see a dead body. And then running away when they face some resistance on a one on one fight.

Yes, PKing is good. It can be, if they stopped and just robbed them or took some of their items. (this takes skill) I.E. drop into encounter with someone, order them to stand still or be killed, demand some tribute, get paid or murder them and take all. Corner them in a city map or cave, not in a field of broc flowers or forest. But to slam a blue suit or guy in basic leathers with a sweet red ryder limited edition, when you in combat armor with avenger and two other buddies do this and use "wasteland is harsh" as excuse is just weak.

"If I'm going to die for a word, my word is pussy." - Animal Mother

Ultred

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 10:07:12 am »
I apologize to Khans for earlier post. Just saw this,

Didn't realize Khans was a Newb faction. As only a newb faction could be stomped this hard.

SVEN

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:34 am »
Seems like you got pissed on and then got pissed off  8)
"So get this... -true story- my wife asked me about "Sven" today."
"How is he? Tell him to come to us and he can be my Swedish friend with Long blonde hair and muscles. He seems cuddly"

Ultred

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 02:45:30 pm »
Me, no. I throw away most of my stuff anyway.Threw away 10 alien blasters and a solar scorcher thinking they were garbage on this server when no one responded to my for sale post. More revolted by "piss" poor way of doing business. One thing to kill and piss on someone, another to wander in and randomly piss on someone who is already dead before you get there.I was actually thinking of asking for membership before, that incident however made me wonder if the screen shots of khan "victories" are legitimate.