March 28, 2024, 05:47:23 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: How to make a Location, Dungeon, and then some!  (Read 8634 times)

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
How to make a Location, Dungeon, and then some!
« on: September 14, 2016, 01:58:58 am »
Heya, folks! Ever wondered how you could make your own really cool FOnline locations? Maybe even your own guards, or vendors? Well, now you can! With my new guide! Buy it today! On sale for the next 3 days for the low, low price of 0$!

Inside this picture friendly idiots guide to Fonline Development, you'll learn how to make your own wicked cool amazing shit, and send it in to be implemented 75% faster! Oh, boy!

Check it out!

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvtJZxUiO5XQhABi3CGoN5lIol4R

20 pages of awesome! Yee-haw!

//Please report any typos or errors
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:36:49 pm by Corosive »

Taurus

• View Profile
Re: How to make a Location, Dungeon, and then some!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:48:03 am »
If i make a location, fixed or special encounter , who should i give it to so so it can be added in game?

Will developers add it just like that?

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 06:54:37 pm »
Send it to me VIA PM. I`ll have a look and see if it`s quality enough.

Melt

• Supporter
  • Capybara Exterminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:25:44 am »
I'm going to be reading this guide today. I got my brother into this recently and he was stoked at first. He is more PvE centric and he was complaining at me because Glow was packed with PvP due to locker camping and Ares was too difficult. He literally did caves and lockers for 3 hours then got bored and left. Rather than complain I'm going to try to learn this thing so I can churn out dungeons. A player friendly dungeon would be awesome too, where maybe PvP damage = 0 and players have to co-operate to kill the "raid boss".
As a Poor Mongol, he learned to fight.
As a Reilly's Ranger, he feasted on capybara.
As a Black Sun Gangster, he witnessed betrayal.
As a father, he learned time management.

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 05:11:26 am »
No offence and great job, but the manual is the most awful manual I've ever seen, tbh. At least the beginning of it. It feels like the main intention was to make it more difficult for a person to start. Sure it's not the case, it's just the things that one thinks are obvious are not always obvious. The more you know, the more things would feel trivial and not worth mentioning to you.

And Corosive knows a shitload of stuff. So, here is some additional info.

0 Why TF would u use microsoft crap to host this? google docs are so much better.

1 Here's the source http://forum.fonline-reloaded.net/index.php?topic=9569.0

1.1 What kind of source to download? Client? Server? Both!

1.2 Where is the mapper? In the same topic with the source. http://forum.fonline-reloaded.net/index.php?topic=9569.0

1.3 World Editor crashes? That's because it requires the server side. You also can debug the reason of the crush in the log:

1.3.1 By default this piece of crap wonderful software has no adequate gui config and crashes when is unable to locate server files You can either:

1.3.2 put your server folder in the place where this PoC expects to see it (../../Server, which means the Server folder should be in the parent of the parent folder. completely ridiculous default, but whatevs) OR

1.3.3 change the config of the wretched thing. WorldEditor.cfg:

Since I myself am a big fan of np++, I'll continue using it. This is how you want to change the paths in the WorldEditor config file: Press ctrl+H and do something like this:

1.5 Once you change the config to point to the correct location of the server, it works with no issues:

2 Concepts of maps and locations? Location is the container for maps. Location is something that might have multiple maps.

2.1 Therefore, WorldEditor is something to edit more like metadata of maps and the worldmap logics, whereas the mapper is mostly about locations where you actually see your char.

2.2 Now guess what happens when you try to run mapper? Correct. You get an error since nobody cares to make your life a bit simpler for you. The mapper requires the client. And even though you can see the Client folder in the first archive, it is actually empty. Not sure why it's there, but just extract the Client folder from the second archive (remember how you downloaded both: sources for the server and the client? Well, now we need the client)

2.3 Now you might've noticed that this manual is kinda lame. It is about adding your own locations. But what about improving existing locs? I have a few locations that obviously require some improvement. Anyways, you might've noticed that this wonderful button doesn't work:

No idea why the image doesn't work, here's the link to it:

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1260/71TovO.jpg

Why the fck do I have to hack around when all of this could be good from the beginning? Whatever. Let's continue. Now the button works.

Okay, looks like this is what the beginning of this manual missed. I haven't read much further yet, but looks like the manual lacks more info on how to test the locations on a local server and on scripting at least. I'll add that info later if I continue doing this stuff.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:27:04 pm by cthulchu »

Kilgore

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 11:20:58 am »
2 Concepts of maps and locations? Map is something you see on the world map and location is something we see after entering the map, hence a map can have multiple locations in it. A map is an abstraction, a container for locations.
This needs a correction, because it's exactly opposite. Location = (1..n) maps

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 06:27:57 pm »
Fixed, thanks. I'm new to this stuff, so any criticism is useful :)

Okay, we have to do something with this. Cuz it's lame... Maybe it makes sense to create a mapmaker's kit for every release of reloaded... I could just zip my whole folder and upload it, so people could douwnload it and start using right away with no need to edit any wretched config.

Will do. After I'm sure there's nothing more to improve. in terms of software.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:37:31 pm by cthulchu »

Slowhand

• Go for the eye, Boo! Go for the eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 12:50:25 pm »
@Corosive: Looks like someone finally tried out your tutorial! :)

@Cthulchu: If you haven't checked yet and are new to FOnline development, here is a step by step tutorial for the 1st reloaded season, the advanced tutorial uses the 2nd season. Back then when I wrote it, there weren't major differences at the basic level, but if you check and find any or any bugs, feel free report them.

cthulchu

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 04:17:15 pm »
I think I'll wait for s3 and then upload an updated toolkit with all the shortcuts and stuff.