March 28, 2024, 10:05:38 pm
Username:

Password:

Topic: New Support Perk (again)!  (Read 3570 times)

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
New Support Perk (again)!
« on: August 21, 2016, 04:35:21 pm »
So we have some pretty good support perks, but not for all support skills. For example, lockpick. Sure, we have treasure hunter, but it doesn't directly affect the lockpicking skill.  So my suggestion to the world is,

Support Perk - Safecracker

Description - You find picking locks to be more than just fun, you're addicted to it.

Effect - When a lock is successfully picked, your lockpick cooldown is negated. When you fail to pick a lock, the cooldown timer is halved.

Where to obtain - NPC at the thieves guild under oldtown.

Slowhand

• Go for the eye, Boo! Go for the eyes!
    • View Profile
Re: New Support Perk (again)!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 05:25:43 pm »
What you suggest, simply cuts down the rp part, simply go somewhere on map once, get support perk, forget about it. Possibly no risk in doing so, unless you ment that it costs X caps..

Instead or combined with:

http://forum.fonline-reloaded.net/index.php?topic=9680.msg79006#msg79006

Getting these support perks should be about exposing players to PvP zones, or explore the world map, travel away from Hub.
And that with some risk, not just going there naked, possibly loosing travel time if ganked.

For example, to get the support perk you mentioned, one could have some options, player would choose what to do for it:

- Get it by practice/achievement: Would need to open X amount of locks in Y time. This would keep some RP in, as one would require some lock pick skill to do that, else too slow. From the open world free loot PvP point of view, this would expose the player container hunting on the world map, (or go PvP zone for mass open locks) other players possibly bumping into them.
- Get it by wealth (for crafters) get X amount of lock picks and advanced lock picks to NPC. (can loose picks if ganked)
- Get it by caps (for rerollers): X caps you learn the skill.
- Get it with RP, have X amount of CHA and Speech and learn it free or reduced price.
- Get it with Quest: Complete a quest with some locked container in at and some mobs, whatever, I'm sure Corosive would have some ideas.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:27:34 pm by Slowhand »

General Devon Oliver

• Supporter
  • For Valor!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:44:45 am »
I liek the idea gimper
Merc For Hire, Universal Player

Gimper

• Supporter
  • Harbinger of Armageddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:34:58 pm »
What you suggest, simply cuts down the rp part, simply go somewhere on map once, get support perk, forget about it. Possibly no risk in doing so, unless you ment that it costs X caps..

Thats literally every support perk though... If you look at it like that, then remove EVERY support perk. I don't think so. Point invalid. This is probably the quickest and easiest way to implement a useful and helpful perk that would encourage players to gtfo of bases/hub and go treasure hunting.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:36:31 pm by Gimper 👑 »

Slowhand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:44:40 pm »
If you look at it like that, then remove EVERY support perk.

Add similar content to other support perks as well. Like: Instead of getting the strong back for free, have someone buy the info with caps, some items that mutant likes (or whoever gives it), with charisma/speech reducing cost, or some quest that is also partly or fully in PvP area. This is how u enhance possible random PvP, as assigning some risk to gain a reward. Not to mention the RP part, which the server badly needs imo.

My problem with this suggestion is: Risk = 0 yet Reward = something. (not to mention Content = 0)

Wichura

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 07:35:57 pm »
Add similar content to other support perks as well. Like: Instead of getting the strong back for free, have someone buy the info with caps, some items that mutant likes (or whoever gives it), with charisma/speech reducing cost, or some quest that is also partly or fully in PvP area. This is how u enhance possible random PvP, as assigning some risk to gain a reward. Not to mention the RP part, which the server badly needs imo.
FOnline2 has it solved this way, they are called achievements. To get Strong Back (or Pack Rat, whatever) you need to take boxes miniquest 10 times. To get Pathfinder you need to run 15 times the courier quest. To get HeaveHo!/Pyromaniac (which are support perks there) you need to kill 100 humanoids with throwing/fire based weapons. To achieve these ones I used to get a bunch of grenades/flamer with fuel and slaughter civilians in Den (for most of the time nobody's there as any other unguarded cities anyway). They gather up inside the nearest building when attacked, so it was piece of piss to roleplay the Sonderkommando with flamethrower.

But also to sell fire gecko pelts you have to wait until globally announced "event" in Modoc, so every cunt and his dog gonna be there to fight over trader. Reason being, and I quote, "economy". Like what the fuck?

Roleplay part should be a vital part of Fallout based game, but I was around FOnline projects long enough to abandon all hopes for this to happen.

My problem with this suggestion is: Risk = 0 yet Reward = something. (not to mention Content = 0)
That's applicable for most of support perks and personally I don't see any problem with it.

Beer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:20:52 pm »
Yes and arbitrary pointless grind to get support perks is the opposite of fun and is one of the reasons fonline 2 is shit. Free support perks are way better idea than "carry 10000 boxes and get this support perk! Fun and UNIQ!"

As for the idea for this support perk i like it. It is useful.

Bison

• Supporter
  • (Retired First Generation Khan)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 10:07:24 am »
I'd like to see more support perks but additionally I do think having to earn them by doing a mini quest would be a good idea. For example when you have to 'Collect the Radscorpion Eggs' for Doc Larrikin to get the Snakeater Support perk.

Honestly Nothing should be free in the wasteland and if you are to lazy to get it then you simply miss out. The quest doesn't even have to be hard but it will equally give the quest lovers something additional to do.
For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

Barneys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 12:28:26 pm »
But killing those scorpion take 5 minutes its just annoying

Envoyé de mon XT1032 en utilisant Tapatalk

Bison

• Supporter
  • (Retired First Generation Khan)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 02:27:34 pm »
But killing those scorpion take 5 minutes its just annoying

Envoyé de mon XT1032 en utilisant Tapatalk

Yeah it's annoying for people who have done it a thousand times but it's not always about us. I was also only using that as an example, it could be more simple or harder depending on the support perk.
For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 11:43:30 pm »
Slowhand has some great ideas about this. Currently brainstorming. We'll see what happens.

Slowhand

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 12:32:29 am »
Slowhand has some great ideas about this. Currently brainstorming. We'll see what happens.

Muhahaha, -1 for altaholics :P

FrankenStone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 01:23:23 pm »
i personally like the idea about giving support perks some background via quests , achievements like on fonline2 are ok ... i mean not all of them are bad and not all are good. i like slowhands idea about skill increase by using the skill rather then investing skill points , i believe fonline2 does this with scavenging skill and aop did it with science and repair some sort of passive skill which is really cool , i mean it makes atleast sense for all these non combat skills ... the more lockers you did break thorugh the better you get in lockpicking or the more stuff you repaired or scienced youll improve in that fields sounds reasonable and gives the time spent playing other golas then just getting levels. i could even imagine to split repair into 2 categories , one just for simple crafting ( professions ) and other for repairing. such system would be nice to play i think , in addition by raising your skill by using it you could introduce quests for them so people can combine activities so it doesnt feel all dat repetive , could be even combined with support perks quests which would be function like some little tutorial how to use this that skill or what happens when u are radiated etc. ... indeed very good brainstorming.

to break it more down i think for support perks like carryweight there should be unique quests and for things like lockpicking there could be multiply npcs who could teach you some things ,e.g like the boneyard combatskill training , regarding how high your current skill is ...for example if you beginn with level 1 char that never picked a lock and u have a very low lockpick skill the first quest could be something like a tutorial where some nigga explains you how to pick locks etc and u gain some minimal skill increase by 5% or 10% , the more skill you got the more complicated the quest tasks could be , i could imagine some fun places to explore. this could all be combined witha chievements of course but weeh its alot of work :) one thing i really enjoyed for example in tla was the electro lockpick function on something similar like assignments where you could get the code from some npc inventory or by high lockpickskill and the electro lockpick , maybe something simimalr could be done to normal lockpicking.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:37:41 pm by FrankenStone »