April 25, 2024, 07:03:54 am
Username:

Password:

Topic: Fallout 1.5 - Single player  (Read 4880 times)

Seki

• View Profile

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 1.5 - Single player
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 03:38:01 pm »
Its not related to Reloaded itself so I started discussion few days earlier in offtopic ;) Anyway gonna check it soon too.

Small info:
For polish players who want to polish language: people from fallout-corner will translate whole game to polish.
I'm badass and I will kick your asses.

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:14:18 pm »
Cool, thanks for the share! Downloading now... looks promising... but I'm kind of jealous that I didn't make this... however Season 3 of Reloaded will have a... campaign... Therefore... it wasn't necessary for me to make a standalone single player thing...

EDIT:

Seeing as we haven't been that active in the community lately, I want to let everybody know that we are in the process of releasing something media related. It's hard work, so we've been doing that. We aren't dead lol. And we are still finishing up the last few gigantic quests. Unfortunately, it's the summer. Some of us had to take a vacation. Goddamnit! Why do we have to have lives?

Honestly, none of us need more friends! The more people you know, the more people call you! And want to hang out all the time! Jesus! We need more coding time! Leave us alooooonneeeeeeee!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:21:37 pm by Corosive »

emrebnk

• pfft
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 09:31:43 pm »
Corosive's like the baby sitter of the Reloaded community lel

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 09:50:43 pm »
Corosive's like the baby sitter of the Reloaded community lel

Kilgore made me responsible :(

UPDATE ON F 1.5:

I couldn't get into it. The language isn't very exciting. Definitely feels like a translation. Bland intro. Worldmap lags.

But on the PLUS! It does feel like a Fallout game. Has potential if you can look past the writing.

Henry

• Wiki Administrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Gravity is just a theory. Try Density.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 12:57:33 am »
I tried it today. I'm not giving up on it yet, but so far it seems i'm stuck. I remember how it was tough to get started in F2 so maybe they wanted to do the same here, but i hope this is not a "kill the player a lot to simulate harshness" thing. I'm at an early point where i have no caps, need caps to do more, and see no way to get caps without dying over and over. I'm sure i'll figure it out but i sure hope they don't think i'm going to walk back and forth between the same 3 cities over and over per each quest, rather than stay in each town long enough to solve a few and then move on (like f2). Looks good though and has that F2-esque feel. Good music too.

I can share a few early hints though: do not use your zip gun on the rats to get out of the starting cave. Use the knife - it's all you need, and you need those bullets for tougher things soon. Also, when in town #3, do not attend the meeting as a representative of that one caravan master until you are really tough - it's a trap - three guys in Leather Armor kill you easily if you go to that meeting. I think, don't even get that quest until you've leveled up a bit (which i realize is what you'd be trying to do by getting the quest). And as always was the case with original Fallouts, save game save game save game as you go.

Some good news: i read their FAQ and it turns out you can install this even if you have killapp's Restoration Project Patch installed. It's working fine for me.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 01:07:49 am by Henry »

Corosive

• Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 01:16:09 am »
Unfortunately, the problem with most Fallout 1+2 engine based standalone mods/games is that they tend to be very repetitive and basic. Kill x critter, bring 10x y item, bring z item to v npc, etc. You spend more time travelling between the same cities that it becomes absolutely boring.

The Fonline engine is the modern way to make a Fallout 1/2 inspired standalone game. Using the old engine/guts from the 90's is just a waste of time :(

Imagine this game in the Fonline engine instead...

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 07:54:29 am »
The Fonline engine is the modern way to make a Fallout 1/2 inspired standalone game. Using the old engine/guts from the 90's is just a waste of time :(

Imagine this game in the Fonline engine instead...

I think same too and can not understand why fallout developers do not use fonline engine. On the no mutants allowed forums people still ask about fallout modding and release new content. I know they modding fallout 2 itself but come on for overhaul or total conversion mods ihmo they should move on to fonline.

Leftover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 09:37:06 am »
...why fallout developers do not use fonline engine...
because modding fallout is not exactly same like modding fonline. there is many differences. some of these modders spend long years to learn how to mod fallout on really pro level and is doubtful that they will want to start from basics and waste another long years to learn fonline modding.

worldremaker

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 10:39:45 am »
I think same too and can not understand why fallout developers do not use fonline engine.

hardware and OS environment requirements + knowledge gathered past almost 20 years + tools + documentation in english instead russian language + a lot of F/F2 modder's help + sfall engine's capabilities + community

Simple example - one Reloaded's developer, cubic2k - he better knows and understands F2 than FOnline.

jarok

• Howdy, partner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 04:01:26 pm »
Good points but ihmo in long term fonline engine is future of new fallout isometric games. Thats only my opinion.

I prefer fonline engine because it has these nice features like better ui and feeling of the movment and the game itself is not coarse and laggy as fallout 2 is. Do not say about things like real-time, better hotkeys because its obvious.

worldremaker

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 07:42:20 pm »
FOnline engine is pretty enough to do good single player stand-alone Fallout based game. You can apply here many file formats knowns from Fallout games and few other things. FOnline is very advanced game engine and it's also hard to understand for older modders which really don't need such features.

Leftover

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 10:56:51 am »
Main thing is that Fallout is designed to be singleplayer and when you make some mod there is no problem in making it playable for everyone without useless effort. Fonline is designed to be multiplayer and it has lack of crucial singleplayer features like save game, ingame settings menu, etc. to that to run fonline as standalone singleplayer you need some knowledge how connect client to server on your pc and make it working.
Comfort of modding and playing in context of singleplayer game speaks in favor of fallout engine, even if this engine is more limited than fonline.

c_hieter

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 10:06:55 pm »
i like it.
i have spent the last few days playing it.
they did a good job.
you can tell that a lot of blood/sweat and tears went into this.
5 mutated thumbs up.
:)